Washington State Wine Pick-Up Parties

Great news today. A bill to allow pick up parties in non tasting room venues was approved by the Washington Senate today.

From the WA Wine Institute:
We are excited share the great news that on Thursday afternoon the Senate held a final vote on WWI’s bill, SB 5596. SB 5596 will allow any winery licensed in Washington state to apply for a permit to hold an off-premise, private event where they may deliver sold wine, provide tastings of their own wine, and sell bottles for off-premise consumption. We heard from many WWI members that this new permit would be a huge help in promoting their wine to wine club members as well as new potential customers in urban areas around the state.

The only change from it’s original form is a cap placed on the number of permits allowed to be issued per year per winery to 12. SB 5596 is now headed to the Governor’s desk. We will be in touch on how to send emails and letters to the Governor asking him to sign this bill into law as soon as possible. Once signed, it will take 90 days to become law and the LCB will need some time to put the logistics of the new permit together. We will keep you informed regarding next steps but for now we are thrilled to see this bill head to the Governor for his signature.

[snort.gif] +1

Correct. I was unable to pick my wine up (even though I was within 15 miles of Cayuse during the pick-up party (don’t ask) and it cost me an additional $89 in tax. Picking up in OR is a local sale, which means no state-tax; having it shipped is a WA sale and jacks you.