Washington DC Area - Virginia vs the World, Blind

Any of those dates work for me at this point.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I’m a Glen Manor fanboy.
I’ve got:
'10 and '12 Hodder Hill (Left banker)
'12 T Ruth (Right banker)
'11 and '12 Cab Franc
'13 Sauvignon Blanc

I know that Weygandt has a couple of Linden’s and I’ll be making a couple of trips out by GM/Linden/RdV in the next month or so if we need to do a cellar door pickup.

Sounds great, Joe – thanks for coordinating.

We can do 08/13 or 09/10.

Also, maybe premature, but I call Thibaut-Janisson Blanc de Chardonnay. We’ll probably call a Linden red, too, but exactly what is TBD.

I assume we have to include RdV and Octagon. I’ve got one bottle of each. Anyone collect these in greater volume?

either of those dates work for me … i’ve got a 2010 octagon (but that’s it for VA wine). happy to try to get my hands on something different or bring something world related.

Fun Police checking in…

Here are some unsolicited suggestions for JoeD (or whoever is organizing this) to make the tasting as useful as possible (I’ve been to a few XX vs. XX tastings that have sucked for one or more of the reasons below):

1. Cap the number of people (12? 15?)
  2. Cap the number of wines (at 1 or 2 bottles per person)
  3. Pick a variety group(s) and stick with them so flights are easy (i.e., while Linden’s Manseng may be amazing – not picking on you, Noah – what are you going to blind against that?) (a white flight or two, probably Viognier? and/or maybe Chard, but VA Chard isn’t great except for Linden + probably left/right bank red flights)
  4. Try to stick to a couple/few vintages (again, someone may have a killer bottle of Linden from the mid-90s, but no one will have any other VA wine that old, and it will probably be obvious which wine that is, as well as whatever old world wine you put it up against)
  5. This may be harder, but I would suggest demanding a certain amount of age (e.g. no younger than 2010) (the “world” wines are going to be too young no matter what you do, but every little bit helps – no one should want to drink a 2012 Bordeaux next to a 2012 Hodder Hill – not picking on you, other Joe)
  6. I agree that you should start by declaring the VA wines – (a) someone knowledgable about VA wine should officiate the declarations so that only the better VA wines are present (no, you can’t bring that Pearmund Ameritage you swear was killer that one time you had it at a bachelorette party); and (b) once you have those set, people will know what “world” wines to bring based on vintage/variety (the “world” wines could be double blind if you trust attendees to bring appropriate wines)

Not everyone who wants to attend will have VA wine, which is totally fine. Let a few core people declare the VA wines, then others will just declare that they’re bringing a “world” wine. Hopefully, it shakes out to be pretty equal in terms of value if everyone plays fair (i.e., someone brings two $30 VA wines, someone else brings a $60 Cali wine, someone brings a bottle of RdV Lost Mountain, someone else brings a $100-ish BDX, someone else brings a $20 VA Viognier plus a $50 bottle of something else, whatever).

Anyway, just some random thoughts in the hopes that this is the best tasting you can put together and not a free-for-all that doesn’t end up meriting any conclusions about the state of VA wine.

I belemieve I have an '08 Octagon. I can do tht 07 Breaux Cab Franc reserve.

As for the Linden Petit Manseng, I would put it up against a similar vintage Sauternes/ Barsac, CA late harvest white, or Riesling BA. No one is trying to make the same wine, and while it may not be as direct a comparison as chards, it’s at least reasonable to do a dessert wine flight. Also, I think tasting younger chards is reasonable.

I agree with Scott’s suggestions other than that.

I think I have a Linden dessert wine, and that’s it, so I’m in the bringing the ‘other’ wine camp. Aug 13 is best here.

And, oh yes, there will be biscuits [cheers.gif]

Wow. My first Berserker post. #virgin
newhere
This looks like fun. I’d be happy to bring, proverbially and literally, the world.
I can do 8/13 or 9/10. Under great duress, I can swing 7/23.

Updated up top. 8/13 is the date. Everyone please confirm your attendance, as it will be capped at 14 people (roughly 1-1.5 oz pour of each wine, with room to revisit).

Fun Police nailed it with the “wine rules” - If you are confirmed as attending, please list the wine(s) you are suggesting to bring and then we can all agree on the final lineup. If you are bringing a “world” wine, try to keep it in the same ballpark as the VA wines listed (not that a ringer is a bad thing!). Let’s base the vintages off whats available from VA. I think 1-2 bottles per person is appropriate, with flights TBD as we fill up.

I am in - I have 07/08 Linden Avenus Red, and all 09/10 for both RDV’s.

Lastly, Berg is working on catering for this event. Please be prepared to chip in a few $ for that. I will update the top post with the attendees and the wines called out. From there, we can cull it down to something manageable.

We’re in for 2. Thibault Janisson and 07/08 Linden Boisseau. I’ll review if we have a Linden sticky and update later.

In for 1. World wine.

I’m in for 1 as well, bringing tbd World Wine.

count me in for 1 – I can bring a 2010 Octagon – or since we have time – open to procuring something different from Virginia or elsewhere.

In for one. Coming with comparable world wine(s).

In for one. Comparable world wine.

In? Don’t have va will bring world

In for two. I’m on record for what I have. Happy to bring world as well
N

VA to bring: 2007 Delaplane Springlot Reserve, 2012 Linden Boisseau Chard and a Linden dessert wine. May bring a similarly vintaged Sauternes and bordeaux.

I have 2010 Rappahannock Cellars Meritage, 2010 King Family Vineyards Meritage, 2010 RdV Vineyards Lost Mountain, 2010 RdV Vineyards Rendezvous. Happy to bring any or all of them.

I say we just drink all of David’s wine!
Thanks for volunteering! :slight_smile:

Ok for reds- lets do: 2010 and 2007

Please call out your 2007 and 2010 " world" wines and I’ll edit the original post to reflect our latest list.

Need to figure out white WINE flight next.