Wanted: Tokyo and Kyoto restaurants

it was the only place i went that felt legitimately touristy.

I highly recommend you do a search for my previous Kyoto postings on the board first. My descriptions here are much more detailed and evocative.

I second the recommendation re: Sarahā€™s prior posts on her trips to Japan. Well worth a read and, for me, pretty much spot on recommendations and observations.

Tempura Uchitsu, but itā€™s a pain in the neck trying to get reservation.

Had another great meal at Kappo Sakamoto (Kyoto) last week. Though I still donā€™t understand the fascination so many people have with yubaā€¦

The tonkatsu at Katsukura (Kyoto) was just as good as I remembered it - if not better. This time we remembered to pack the cabbage salad dressing we bought.

Excellent sukiyaki prepared in front of us at Moritaya.

Recently had an excellent dinner at Sushi Kyubay on the 2nd floor of Hotel Okura, Tokyo, certainly better than expected, highly recommended.

I really liked Ise Sueyoshi in Tokyo:

Itā€™s walking distance from the Grand Hyatt and the Chef spent a few years in Canada so he speaks English. Iā€™d definitely recommend a visit.

this evening.
56162451_10219731231459984_7051481760453885952_n.jpg

Bumping this old thread for new recommendations (already scanning all the other threads). Going to be traveling in September to Tokyo/Kyoto, looking for current restaurant recommendations and recommended day hikes

Tokyo - Kien, Sharikimon Onazawa
Kyoto - Sen, Kiyama, Cave du K (wine bar with Dujac by the glass when I went, along with a a point eppoisses).
Casual Kyoto - Hitomi (yakitori across the river from Cave du K), Vegan Ramen, Da Yuki (pizza and apps)

1 Like

Thanks Barry

Just returned from Kyoto and had a few notes.

Went to Cave du K and they do indeed have a fantastic wine program including an excellent wines by the glass selection (I think). I say this because the glass list isnā€™t written out and requires a conversation with the bartenders/somms. Unfortunately, we were borderline ignored because we didnā€™t speak Japanese. When we arrived there were 7 other people, but for the majority of the time, there were just 1-2 other people. I ordered a bottle after a glass of champagne (six selections by magnum) and a glass of white because our glasses would be empty while the two servers were talking to the other two people, looking at their phones, or out of the room. I had to order the bottle from the bar back as well as several courses from the bar back because she was the only one paying attention. I poured half the bottle myself to the bar backs shocked face (I donā€™t care at all just a comment on how ignored we were) while she would stare at the other servers not paying any attention. Anyway, great wine program, good food, but disappointing evening due to lack of attention.

We had a very good lunch at Vena. Italian Japanese with an outstanding mature vintage Italian cellar and a very knowledgeable somm who is the server at the 10 person counter. Their glass selection is somewhat younger vintage but solid wines. After a glass of bubbly and white, the somm must have read my mind and brought out a barolo, barbaresco and brunello from the 60/70s. I selected a '64 Produttori that he wouldnā€™t serve me because of a recessed and leaking cork (fill level was still ok and I would have liked to try) so he immediately brought out the '61 Produttori (I believe it was their first vintage) to substitute and it was fantastic and very much still alive. I asked for another bottle from the 60ā€™s to compare and again he brought out three options. We went with a '67 Prunotto Barolo Riserva and it was also very much alive and delicious. We only finished half of each and he happily packaged them gently so that we could have the rest with our dinner.

We stayed at Kanamean Nishitomiya in central Kyoto and would highly recommend. Very small Ryokan owned by a couple who are very active in running an outstanding inn and an excellent restaurant (Michelin starred), either kaiseki in a private room or in their grill (6-8 seats although we were the only two there). We had two fantastic meals with them and the food/service was outstanding. The husband is the sommelier and has a very good wine/sake list. Their collection of cook, design, and architecture books is also quite impressive. Of our four accommodations while in Japan, it was head and shoulders above the others. We would absolutely stay and dine there again.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience!

A bit chocked to hear about the treatment, I have been to Japan several times and I have never ever felt ignorned or not well take care of at any establishment while there. Shame and sad to hearā€¦

Certainly the exception on our trip. Could have been an off night for the team. I was really disappointed as it had the makings of being a great evening.

Sorry yo hear it.

Exact opposite of my experience at Cave du K, where we talked and after a glass of one of the burgundies he had open, he opened the 17 Dujac Charmes to have BTG.

We were at Kanamean Sept 25-29, May have crossed paths!

A few highlights:

Dinner: Ryo-sho, Nichigetsubou Tan
Lunch: Gion duck noodles (still dreaming of this one)

Bars: Rencontre Grower Chamoagne bar was wonderful. All you need to do is contact them via Instagram at least an hour before you want to show up. Lots of selection, including some real rarities (Prevost Iota) and a number of growers that were completely new to me. Owner was great, wonderful conversationalist

1 Like

Going to Japan in June. Recontre looks great - curious as to how the prices compare versus the US.

Just to chime and say, like @Barry_L_i_p_t_o_n, had a great visit at Cave de K last week. Super friendly, enough english to converse, though the one girl behind the bar used google translate to tell me something about a Krug vintage- which was cute. We were lucky the bar was half empty when we arrived at 5:30. Cool space.

2 Likes

Sorry, been away a bit. Wine prices are a bit higher than the US (but not terribly so), but at the same time, there was access to a large selection of grower champagnes that were completely new to me (which doesnā€™t often happen). I think its certainly worth the stop

Super excited. Thank you! Will definitely try to visit.