WA: Jeb's SantaBarbara Wine Review

I have indeed been busy, Tom. Today is a day to recover - and try to squeeze in some work for my day-job - before a busy rest of the week with (probably) our last fruit coming in at Harrington along with press days there. Helped Steve Edmunds press Mourvèdre for his Rocks and Gravel blend late last week…foot-stomped a couple bins of the Grenache for that blend about a month ago too.

I just saw Mel’s note about Fabrizio a few minutes ago. So sad to hear that news, though I know he’d been ill for some time. It was good to see him post many old photos from Alloro and HdR on Facebook in the past few weeks, with plenty of folks we know in those shots. I was late to discovering Alloro and only met him once or twice but he was such a good and generous guy - he’ll be missed.

I could be wrong, but glancing at ebob just now I couldn’t find anything below 84.

Tim, I no longer have access, so can’t look myself. Maybe it was only in the 80s, I thought there was a score much lower than that.

Alan, I’ve never subscribed to WA, but found a short article about ESJ on the SFGate website that mentions the scores for the 2005 vintage wines ranging from 84 to 87. I recall that what was perceived as mean-spirited commentary by Parker on these wines attracted a fair amount of criticism, on the eBob board and elsewhere.

Ken, you’re right, it was the commentary that was so mean-spirited (and frankly just wrong), not the scores, I guess. Maybe I’m remembering a Laube score for the 2001 Montelena, or something like that.

Yeah, that’s about right. The last time he even sort-of gave the wines the credit they deserve was the '01s.

I’ve yet to pop a cork on my 2001 Chateau Montelenas’ which have been at 55 degrees and plenty good humidity, but I’ve been hearing that the wine is coming around, Laube be damned. 2001 was one hell of a vintage.

Leonard,
Shortly after that review, a few of us did a blind cab tasting which included both 2001 and 2002 Montelena. None of us found a problem with the 2001, it was a fine wine. I haven’t had one in nearly a decade, I’d think it might be a decent time to take an early look.