Visiting Paso Robles in November

RN Estate makes some really nice Pinots. He sources the grapes from cooler areas near the coast. He makes Bordeaux blends and some other wines from his Paso Robles estate fruit.

1 Like

We are big fans of Adelaida and enjoy their Syrahs, Zins and Pinot Noirs.
They do a really nice tasting, and the setting is beautiful.

+1 on Adelaida. We have been following them for a few years and visited them two weeks ago. Reserve a sit down tasting and you wonā€™t be sorry. They are making some excellent paso juice in your price range.

+2

I have been amazed with the quality of the HMR Vineyard ā€œReserveā€ Pinot Noir from Adelaida Cellars in past vintages.

The 2002 and 2003 Viking Vineyard ā€œReserveā€ Syrah were phenomenal, too! Nowadays, I see more ā€œAnnaā€™s Vineyardā€ RhĆ“ne-style reds (and whites), so I donā€™t know what happened to the Viking Vineyard designation.

Adelaida Cellars and Windward stand as proof that Paso Robles can produce great quality Pinot Noir wines - at least in the Templeton Gap!

BTW, hereā€™s Ken Zinnā€™s post on Adelaida Cellars and a couple of other Paso Robles wineries, with a link to the full article:

I had a great time there with my wife over the summer. Our favorites for dinner were Il Cortile and Laurent.
For tastings, highlights included Tablas Creek, Lā€™Aventure, Clos Solene, and Torrin. Have fun and congratulations!

My wife and I are wrapping up a trip to Paso now. Il Cortile was excellent with a nice wine list also. We also dined at The Hatch for a more casual, gastropub experience and we enjoyed everything we dined on here as well.

Nicora is not to be missed in Tin City. Make an appointment and hopefully Nick will be your host. This was my favorite tasting of all and came away impressed with his wines.

Others that we enjoyed, in no particular order: Epoch, Lā€™Aventure, Denner, Booker, Oso Libre, Herman Story, and Cypher.

Daou and Law have really beautiful views, nice grounds, and incredible, windy, and peaceful drives to their propertyā€™s. Daou is a nice spot for lunch.

I had a more meh experience at Hatch, however it was just a single visit.

Really liked our visit to Giornata, really enjoyable wines and Brian seems very down-to-earth and low-key. I also liked visiting to Turley, different feel, obviously bigger winery; they had cool things like the olive oil and Cinsault there that I really enjoyed. Tablas Creek is a beautiful drive and a great tasting room visit.

For something different, if yourā€™e into beer would recommend visiting Firestone Walker, too. More of a brewpub experience but they have their whole range available for pours and itā€™s a cool experience.

I thought Torrin was made at Law, and they didnā€™t do tastings?

Fred, did you get your hands on a bottle of the Turley Tecolote red wine? It sounds like an interesting one - 60% Grenache and 40% Carignane from the Pesenti Vineyard.

http://www.turleywinecellars.com/2013-tecolote/

They are/were in Tin City. Scott is the winemaker@ Law but his Torrin label is separate. In fact Scott sold his vineyard property on Booker land and purchased his own property. Will have his own tasting room and vineyards in the future.

Law Winery for sure. Great views and great wine. Fabulous tasting experience.
Booker. Great wine.
Caliza, next to Book. Very good wine.
Daou. Great view, decent wine. Fantastic tasting room.
Saxum but I think you need to be on their list.
Villa Creek. Really good wine, rustic tasting experience.
TH winery. Great wine, quaint tasting room.
Carmody McKnight. Owners are close personal friends.
Alta Colina. Well priced and very good. If you have an electric car they have charging stations.
Denner. Anthony Yount, wine maker. Canā€™t miss.

Also see this website. https://pasowine.com/visit/wineries/?tiles=54

Food.

IC great food but overpriced. Try Buona Tavola instead.
Fish Gaucho. Not only fish, and Mexican themed.
Mistura. Locals swear by it. Peruvian themed.
Jaffa/Panolivo. Owners are French and cool. In fact they lived in the same area of Paris as did Georg and Daniel Daou. Small world.

Folks have already mentioned most of my favorites but Iā€™d like to add Anglim and Caliza to the list of tasting rooms to visit.

Cowgirl Cafe (couple blocks off the square) for breakfast was great and McPheeā€™s in Templeton for lunch.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, we are still stringing it together last minute haha. Itā€™s been pretty hectic but itā€™s great to see support for some ideas we had. Sounds like a visit to Tin City is in the works! Iā€™ll post some info on the trip when we get back.

In Tin City, not sure whether Aaron / Aequorea has been mentioned, but highly recommended. And an appointment at Giornata too - I know some have mentioned them. Next door to Giornata is Field Recordings, also worth a stop. And donā€™t forget to stop in for a beer or two at Barrelhouse Brewing! [cheers.gif]