Visiting Krug

Ruinart is a great visit, and I quite enjoyed Reims.

Vilmart was an excellent visit.

And our Philipponnat was perhaps the best of the bunch. Hiking the Clos de Goisses is special. A very unique and beautiful vineyard.

There is the small matter of Reims cathedral. Stained glass windows by Chagall. I have a rather nice Utrillo of the cathedral’s frontage (sadly not the original).

If you didn’t like Reims then skip Épernay!

In Reims, be sure to visit the Caves du Forum.

All I can say is that our visit to Krug, organized through L’Assiette Champenoise, was incredible. We were received in their new tasting / reception area with glasses of Krug GC 163 and had a comfortable chit chat there. We were then brought on a comprehensive tour of the facilities, and got to see Julie Cavil on her rounds, the tanks for the reserve wines, bottles being riddled by hand, and the area where the last surviving bottles of 1915 (among many other priceless undisgorged vintages) are kept behind a locked gate. Then we sat down for a leisurely tasting of Krug GC 160, Krug 2002 and Krug 2004. Two-plus hours all-in, and it will rank among one of the top wine-related experiences of my life

If I put on my Finance hat for a moment, the whole experience was a complete steal. You get dinner the night before in a 3 Michelin-star restaurant - the most elaborate menu that they have. You are served THREE full bottles of Krug (in our case Krug GC 165, Krug 2004 and Krug Rose) which alone would run well north of €1,000 in a restaurant. You get to enjoy the nicest suite in the hotel with the largest hot tub I’ve ever seen in any hotel. Oh, and also there’s the half bottle of Krug GC 164 when you arrive. Even excluding the Krug visit, I’d argue you get more than your money’s worth from the package; it represents tremendous generosity from the good people at L’Assiette and Krug

(of course, you have to really like Krug champagne.gif)

This sounds awesome.

yah that sound amazing… clearly you pay for it… but if you have the money, this is a top shelf experience it sounds like…
when you pay that much, your ‘importance’ is noted? :wink:

Yao, that sounds like the normal tour. You enjoyed it more than we did. I’m glad!

how much was that? 2500 euro for two or 2500 PER person, so 5000 euro for 2?
1 night hotel/a meal/tour for 2500 seems legit for that experience… for 5000 euro would be a bit high

I will admit to being utterly starstruck (or perhaps it was the wine) [wink.gif]

2500 for two :slight_smile: