Virtual Tasting Series XXI -EXTENDED - Women Winemakers or Santa Barbara AVA Wines - $10 per TN

There’s a 2004 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon and a 2007 Lamborn Cabernet Sauvignon open and ready for tonight’s dinner. So far two small tastes show Cathy Corison’s wine is all about classic cab, while the Lamborn made by the esteemed Heidi Peterson Barrett is certainly modern, but not over the top.

Update: the Corison is very complex, and reminds me of old school Monte Bello or Montelena. The Lamborn is rich, but balanced and has plenty of potential for further development. Drink the Corison now or in the near future, and hold the Lamborn for 3-5 years.

Two more nice QPRs from SBC – I’ve been enjoying a few bottles from the Tercero BerserkerDay reds case – so far the Mourvedre is my favorite…

2006 Siduri Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/10/2014)
nose shows cranberry and other red fruits, earth, but smells slightly heat damaged (PALCB closeout) with a touch of caramelization. palate is quite charming. med(+) acid creates a very refreshing palate, which shows lots of red fruit and also has some herbal notes. heat damage is not as evident on the palate. medium finish leaves acid behind that works well with food. Very nice, especially for the $24 closeout price, even if some of the bottles may not be 100%. (89 pts.)

2009 Tercero Syrah Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/8/2014)
Drank over two days. Captivating nose shows primarily red fruit (plum) with some floral notes that give this some lightness and incense in the background. Both red and black berry fruit come through on the palate. This goes better with food thanks to the med(+) acidity level. A touch of heat develops on the finish. Although the palate is a bit of a letdown after the beautifully complex nose, this is still a great wine, especially for the price! (90 pts.)

• 2006 Carol Shelton Wines Zinfandel Karma Zin Rue - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/13/2014)
    Smoke and earth on the nose followed by raspberries, blueberry compote, some brambly blackberries, and a little vanilla. The palate has sweet black fruit, a good dose of vanilla, some earth, and spice. Nice acidity at the end that keeps it lively. Nice finish. While not as overtly fruity as it was a few years ago, this wine is still quite delicious and super easy to drink. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Late to the party and first post. I love Cathy Corison’s wines. Here are a few notes:

• 1998 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Kronos Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/7/2013)
    Wow! Being a burgundy and Bordeaux lover, this wine is like the best of both combined into a single wine. It has the core flavors of Bordeaux with the bright acidity and red fruit of burgundy, but lacking the interesting burgundy forest floor or mushrooms. Very long complex finish with lingering red fruit. Medium intense red with moderate legs. Silky tannins still showing some grip but well integrated. The acidic structure predominated initially but the wine opened up nicely over the course of a couple hours showing its nicely integrated fruit and Bordeaux like minerality. This wine would pair well with a wide range of savory meat dishes, especially lamb chops or rack of lamb. A unique world class wine. (93 pts.)

• 2005 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/11/2013)
    Dark purple with dark fruit aromas and some minty notes. Wine opened up quickly to reveal blackberry and cassis with some herbal notes and sufficient acidity to carry the wine nicely. Tannins were smooth and well integrated. Long finish. (91 pts.)

• 1989 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/16/2014)
    What a lovely surprise! Pop decant and pour. Lots of fruit up front but elegant and feminine. Lively and no tiredness. Medium red with no obvious bricking. Medium legs. Initially dark fruits like plum, blackberry and dark cherry. Later red berries and hints of apple balanced by a well integrated tartness from the acid. This wine tastes like a well aged burgundy or barbaresco. A nice touch of oak, mild mushroom and leather. Very enjoyable. (92 pts.)

Thanks for the 2005 Corison note. I have one bottle, so it’s good to read someone’s recent impressions.

Had a fantastic 2010 Keever Cabernet Sauvignon, made by Celia Welch, last night…needed much more air than we gave it, but it was spectacular. Restrained but complex, very velvety, and the finish was probably the best part of the wine.

Jane, thank you for this thread and your generous donations.

What is the final talley? Good to see all the women winemakers.

Can I get one more in under the wire?

• 2008 Arcadian Pinot Noir Fiddlestix Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/16/2014)
    Once again, underrated Arcadian impresses. This wine is already showing some evolution and gosh darn if it doesn’t show a heck of a lot like a very fine Burgundy from a ripe vintage. There’s leather, earth, a touch of exotic spice and delineated reddish fruits here. Only a touch of strawberry-ripe surmaturité gives this away as a Santa Rita Hills wine. If Burgs blow beyond my reach price wise, wines like this would have me okay with it. 92-93 (92 pts.)

I counted Alan Chan’s final note. The tally was fourteen notes on wines from women winemakers (I gave one credit for Doug’s three notes on Corison wines from CellarTracker because the wines weren’t consumed during the first two weeks of May 2014 but I thought the effort deserved some credit.) That accounts for a $140 gift I will be sending this week to International Rescue Committee. Thanks all!
I also tallied fourteen notes on wines from Santa Barbara County grapes (some wines received credit in both categories as they were Santa Barbara grapes and a female winemaker.) That means $140 for the C.A.R.E. clinic of Cumberland County (Fayetteville) NC. I’m sure the clinic will be appreciative.

Jane

Good on you Jane! Well done!