Virtual Tasting--PINOT NOIR from anywhere. May 5th - May 12th

A pinot has no name…

Lol. Nice GoT reference!

Hmm…just reconfirmed that despite how much I like Rhys, I really don’t like Swan Terrace. It just hits my palate the wrong way. Tried the 2013 again, and there’s a distinctly green element on the palate that I do not like at all.

Oh well, more money for Horseshoe.

champagne.gif

My ‘anywhere’ ended up to be Willamette Valley, revisiting an old friend… (given the number of ‘curmudgeon’ threads we have lately)

• 2012 Seven of Hearts Pinot Noir Curmudgeon Cuvée Armstrong Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/6/2019)
    What a transformation! Upon opening, this smelled faintly of communion wine, and a bit hot. First sample on the palate reflected similar disappointment - just hot, barely any discernible fruit at all. I figured it must be a flawed bottle. 15 minutes later I went back as I wouldn’t want to waste this wine, a homage to the late Bob Wood, as that’s how he would have wanted it…needless to say it was merely sleeping and has awoken in a big way. Pine needles, fresh soil, and red berries dominate the nose - a fresh and vibrant presentation. The palate simply explodes with fruit of perfect sweetness - sweet upon initial attack, but immediately converting to a more spicy, controlled dark berry component, so as not to be at all jammy or syrupy in the fruit profile. Acidic backbone drives that fruit bite, and that blast of sweetness that so quickly fades is really an attractive quality to this wine, as it seems to introduce greater complexity, much like a nose that loads you with so many individual components you hasten to taste the wine. This wine is not as complex on the nose (at least not yet) but super complex and rewarding on the palate.

2014 Brewer Clifton 459 - a bit hotter than expected out of the bottle at 14%. After 30 minutes or so it opened up nicely. Flowery with cherry notes. I’ve had this wine before and maybe it’s shutting down or needs more air. Maybe I was impatient and should’ve given it more air.
2015 Brewer Clifton 459 - Giant step up from the 2014 straight out of the bottle. Jabbed me in the nose with asian and fall spices, then triangled my olfactory system with potpourri, exotic tea and fresh rose flowers, finally uppercutting me straight in the freaking MOUTH and THROAT for the knockout with a combination of medium to bright berry fruits and more awesome spice notes. Winner winner chicken dinner, though I had these wines with broiled fresh salmon collars and bellies tonight.
The mouthfeel and overall impression of both wines is fantastic and a style I like over many pinots from that area. The 2015 was so good, I might buy another bottle or two.

2007 Mount Edward “Morrison Vineyard” Pinot Noir (Central Otago, New Zealand)
Dark ruby-red color, slight transparency. Aromas of mulberry and bay leaf with some cherry and thyme notes. Palate has blackberry, rhubarb, bay leaf, and black cherry that carry into a medium-long finish. This is showing very well right now and compares favorably with Felton Road’s wines. This is probably the best Mount Edward I’ve had in the past year (out of a half-dozen or so various bottles). Drink or hold.

Nice! You don’t see a lot of that around.

RT

Just saw this thread and am late to the game but here something from somewhere:

2000 Brogan Cellars Russian River Valley Reserve Pinot Noir- 13.9% abv; this was absolutely stellar hitting all of the right spots from the nose through the tail; it had a still youthful red burgundy color; the aromatics were redolent of cinnamon and spice mindful of my mother’s homemade applesauce; red raspberry was the first recognizable fruit profile to show up with red cherry backing it up by mid palate; it had an elegance that was also represented in the mouthfeel with its soft and smooth texture; I`ve had many a bottle of this and the regular 2000 and they continuously give the ultimate treasures of a great Pinot Noir.

As mentioned most every time I review BC wines, they are made by dear friend Margi Williams, daughter of Burt of the initial Williams Selyem fame. Margi established her own identity and has crafted some great wines over the years. Due to health issues, she just retired but her wines live on in optimal health and well being.

Cheers,
Blake

It’s my only 100-point wine in the cellar (CT score)

Enjoyed this well written note Todd [cheers.gif] Never had communion wine, but maybe now I need to try it as a reference point [cheers.gif]

2017 Kokomo Pinot Noir - Gopher’s Hill Block, Peters Vineyard, Sonoma Coast: Clear garnet in color with fresh strawberries and hints of pine needles right out of the bottle. As it opened up, aromas of fresh strawberries continued along with more pronounced forest floor, red currant, clove, and vanilla. Fresh and bright flavors of cherry and white pepper lingered on the palate; medium body, medium acidity, medium tannins; medium - medium(+) length on the finish. This PN was balanced with some complexity on the nose. I like my Pinot’s young and fruit-driven, but I can’t wait to see how this one develops with more time in the bottle.

Be sure you go to a church that has ACTUAL wine to get the pleasure - many serve juice. Or, just splurge on the $4.00 to buy a jug of ‘communion wine’ - Carlo Rossi, perhaps…

We have a monkery/winery (New Clairvaux) nearby that makes sacramental/communion wine. Suffice to say, not even transubstantiation does it any favors.

2006 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Pommard Les Vignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (5/5/2019)
Very nice drunk with salmon sushi. This wine was loaded with cranberry / current fruit. For me good alone but really stood out with the food. Still plenty of tannin to go more years. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2016 Siduri Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/7/2019)
    From a 375, twist and pour. Dark burgundy color, ripe cherry nose, abundant black cherry with Dr Pepper notes, fruity right through the finish which lingers on with but of tannic grip. Easy drinking made in a crowd pleasing style.

Posted from CellarTracker

It’s hard to believe that despite decades of activity on wine boards, this is my first participation in a virtual tasting. Add this to the many thanks I owe FMIII.
2015 Méo-Camuzet Frère et Sœurs Bourgogne
Young but already stunning. The nose starts with a blast of crisp cranberry. Exuberant cranberry, sweet raspberry and cherry dominate the palate. Robust; a heavyweight! This is painfully primary, but it hurts so good! It will be easy to quickly annihilate the rest of my bottles, and it will be a shame to miss what this becomes with several years of bottle age.
Meo Camuzet.jpg

Enjoying all the notes. Thanks for participating everyone.

2014 Rhys Pinot Noir Home Vineyard San Francisco Bay
5/8/2019 - I LIKE THIS WINE: NR
13.2% abv. Medium burgundy red. The aromatics of this wine are outstanding, deep and with cherry and spice overtones. On the palate, structure is preeminent along with a nice saline minerality. With excellent depth and length, this appears to be a superior wine still five or more years away from maximum enjoyment. I have one bottle remaining, and I’ll be patient with it.

After an hour or so (the wine was opened but not decanted about four hours prior to tasting) the wine becomes more open and accessible, the tannic structure softens a bit and some nice cinnamon and baking spice notes emerge. While the wine is enjoyable and interesting now, my advice remains to let this one rest for several more years.

2010 Pierre André au Château de Corton André Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes

A little bit of barnyard old wood funk. Light to medium body and opacity, bright cherry and strawberry. Medium finish. Extra aeration opened it up to a bigger mouthfeel and more acidity. Enjoyable wine, good with food, a little tart to stand on its own for me.