Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/22 - 12/1)

2011 Biggio Hamina Eola Amity. Good tart cherry flavor. Good acidity, but much smoother than a few years ago. I think this wine still has time in the bottle.

Sorry for the upside down photo, ipads are difficult.
4B2B81D5-179A-46C6-AAB6-EA0BF51EC3BA.jpeg

Paul, it would seem you and David see the world from different POVs. Nice. Like the photos. Bob, good to see you back, and thank you Pat for sticking with the theme, too.

I’m going to help, as here is my first post. Since the Dr Mrs doesn’t drink red wines, it’s just me working on the Kutch.

• 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/22/2019)
    Opened about 2 hours ago. ABV on this lists at 12.5% and it seems to drink true to that #, too. A kiss of stems in the aromatic, but only a seasoning that adds a cool signature. Lightly floral with some cracked spices. The texture on this is fantastic, showing a medium weight, framed by red apple, blueberry, juicy strawberry and raspberry. The acidity here is persistent and reinforces the red fruit, finishing with some tannin that gives the wine a texture of slate. I’ve had this as one of my 2019 wines of the year since before summer. Its that good, and for $39 and for the potential it shows to continue to develop, remains one of the best pinot noirs for me in 2019, and for the price, nothing has yet to touch it. Fantastic yet again.

Posted from CellarTracker

You’re drunk [cheers.gif]

Again?!?

2011 Sojourn Sangiacomo

My last of these. A bit burly out of the gate, but it settles farily quickly. What it has given up in fruit, it is yielding in some yummy savory flavors. I really like this producer.

Sorry for the sideways shot.
FC7C5D48-BD9A-4406-A5C4-E4F0BF0C6CC1.jpeg

Happy to support a good cause Frank, I’ll match $5/note.

2016 Rhys Alesia Anderson Valley Pinot Noir
This one a young pup, dark fruited with a Zinfandel-like nose, medium bodied with lots of minerality and cherry Jolly Rancher poking through the chalky mid palate. Sour cherry and chalk on the finish. Still fairly wound up.
0C240046-9EC2-47B6-ACFF-001499C04D72.jpeg

Rat, this is smashing good of you. Thanks for your generosity, pal.

2014 Roserock Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills, Oregon
This was standing by last week in case our ’82 du Tertre STB. Didn’t need it since the du Tertre came through, so it fit right in for this week’s theme . . .
Deep and dense color. Dusty with rich and slightly bright fruit at first taste. A bit of forest floor. A bit of spice. Developed a fuller fruit and spice profile over a half hour or so of drinking alone and with food. Fleshy, flavorful, balanced and smooth. Exceeded my expectations which were set for a “pretty decent wine”. Enjoyed this very much. Recommended.

Cheers to you, Frank!
You’re a good guy, you do good stuff, and kindness does matter.
roserock tn.jpg

• 2017 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Ferrington Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/23/2019)
    I liked this because it backs away, slightly, from the lush WS house style with some herbal flavors. It’s still juicy and fun ripe red fruit. Dark and concentrated color.

Brig,

That’s a really weird color for a Pinot.

Brig, you turkey. That looks like the airport. Where the heck are you?

I hope this wine qualifies, as it is a Pinot Nero-dominant blend:

Ferrari NV Brut Rose’, Trentodoc DOC. This wine is made from Pinot Nero (Pinot Noir) and Chardonnay grapes. Copper with hints of pink. Bubbles are there, but not as tiny as those I’ve seen in Champagne and in Franciacorta. Fruit-forward: strawberries, maybe a bit of cherry, clearly some baking spices and yeast. Aromas and palate rather consistent. Pleasant, approachable. Might be less of a value than many Cavas, in my experience, but certainly very enjoyable.

Brig, I’ve never seen PN with all that foam. Haven’t had a hot pretzel in years.

Brian, how nice of you to join in the giving.

To Laura’s House!

I hate doing sheetrock work, but I love drinking wine. After a long day playing with joint compound we opened this 2014 Walter Hansel South Slope Pinot Noir. Pouring dark crimson, barnyardy garrigue on the nose. Lots of fruit in this one but not overly ripe, Dr Pepper and Rhubarb with a little tension but mostly in your face dark cherry. Definite crowd pleaser style.

0793F103-F65C-4099-9843-11ABD297AA9A.jpeg

I would expect a man of your stature to be hanging 12 footers, not the kiddy 8’.

To hell with that! I bought a sheetrock lift. My old ass hands can barely hold onto a wine glass these days.

2012 Evening Land Vineyards Occidental Ridge Pinot Noir
Early Thanksgiving here (or late Thanksgiving for my Canadian self), so turkey and Pinot are on the menu.
The Evening Land was a nose full of earth and spice with some cranberry and red cherry. Palate was silky, medium weight. Nice balance. Much more interesting than a prior bottle and the power was more balanced out by its depth and complexity. Nice accompaniment to turkey.
2019-11-23 22.49.09.jpg

Not sure if this counts and no picture since I did not realize it was 82% Pinot Noir until I took it out of CellarTracker this morning.

• 2009 Schramsberg Vineyards Reserve - USA, California, North Coast (11/24/2019)
    This came across as much younger than its age of 10 years. Creamy with real nice acidity. Hints of apple and nut. Long finish.

2012 Copain Kiser En Haut

I figured I’d start off with one dearer to Frank’s big heart.

This bottle showed well. Red apple, black cherry, raspberry, orange and orange peel, lively citrus acids.

I don’t think the Copain Kisers ever developed the higher degree of complexity I hoped they would in their youth, but this was a very nice, balanced bottle which was easy to enjoy. Probably the best Kiser I’ve had in a few years.
83E14E83-0E1D-4638-9FA9-1ABCB740885F.jpeg
Cheers Frankie.

Keep 'em coming, guys. This is great stuff.

Cheers back to you, Counselor Seiber.

• NV Ruppert-Leroy Champagne Fosse-Grely Pinot Noir Autrement - France, Champagne (11/24/2019)
    Whoa, champagne geek alert. Looks like an orange wine, obviously lots of skin contact. Zero dosage isn’t a great surprise as it comes across as very angluar. Citrus and acid bite. Fun and tasty but a food wine.