Virginia wineries worth visiting?

Others have reported similar experiences. It’s just such a shame because Linden can be such a gem. I’ve been there numerous times and never experienced what you and others have reported. Just the opposite really.

Go to Maryland instead!

The most interest VA wines are being made by Lightwell Survey in Waynesboro.

Hmmm. Hadn’t heard of it yet, but we’ll be in the area Friday.

Mentioned them in post #7, made by Early Mountain winemaker Ben Jordan, along with his Midland Construction label from his family vineyards in Ft Defiance. Since what’s in Waynesboro is a remote tasting room, may want to reach out to them and make sure it’s open before visiting, or checking in at Early Mountain to see if they have any there.

Thanks. I noticed they make a Syrah blend. From what I hear Syrah is tough to grow here.

Linden is emerging from the lockdown like everyone else and right now visits are limited to their case club members. I don’t know if they’ll change and allow more access in the future, but tour buses will never be allowed. Their model is small groups for tastings, so a dozen bridesmaids… not so much.

I was surprised to read of the poor receptions some have had there; Ben, can you give some details? [Full disclosure: they’re friends; I’m sure they’d want to know of any negative experiences.]

My neck of the woods! I’m local to Charlottesville.

Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of places to visit that nail the “experience” of the tasting (comfortable, nice views, etc) AND have wine I’d seek out to taste as the region’s best. You have places like Pippin Hill that are purpose built luxury hospitality venues (and have the food, views and service to match) but have pretty mediocre wine. Then you have places like Barboursville where the wines are pretty good, but the tasting experience is like a food court unless you do the “reserve” tasting room … and even then the service isn’t very good and the views aren’t great (but at least you can sit down with a group).

The places that probably thread the needle the best are Veritas and King Family. King Family has free polo on Sundays where you can pull up and tailgate with your own food. The only thing you can’t bring - understandably - is outside wine/booze. It’s also one of the only places along with Barboursville and Early Mountain that I’d bother ordering reds.

Gabriele Rausse is a neat little hole in the woods with decent QPR (by Virginia standards) wine. Their Gruner and Viogner are summer favorites in our house.

Jefferson Vineyard’s “Reserve” red tasting is not bad if you want to try some reds. I honestly wouldn’t buy any of the wines for home because if I wanted BDX blends for 50 or 60 bucks, I can do much better even from Napa (to say nothing of BDX itself or even Chile/Australia/etc), but it’s a fun tasting at least.

You can pair a visit to Jefferson with a visit to Trump or Blenheim (Dave Matthews spot) – both of which have swallowable wines. Trump’s blanc de blancs is pretty good, and Blenheim I’d stick to neutral white grapes. Grabriele Rausse is on the way to this neck of the woods as well.

It’s been played with. IIRC Early Mountain has a parcel at their Quaker Run property, but ripped it up in favor of something else. The only winery to pull it off with any regularity was Valhalla down near Roanoke, but they stopped making wines a while ago.

Hark will be right up your alley if you’re back in the area (or if you are here already), about ten minutes past Earlysville just in the shadow of Buck Mountain. Just getting started but have some decent acreage under vine, lots of plans for development. Just some picnic tables in front of the fermentation tanks now.

I think you need an appointment

Has anyone been to Effingham Manor?

yep. didn’t have time to check today

A “second” on the nomination of Gabriele Rausse. We had an exceptional wine/small plate tasting experience there last spring. We hope to return.

I haven’t visited Lightwell Survey but I definitely second Matthew that their wines are all super interesting. I’ve tried most of their recent vintage and have been hooked. Their Riesling / Petite Manseng blend—Hinterman—is just what the doctor ordered for this 100 degree weather. They’ve also been doing free shipping like many all quarantine if you want to try it before going. Their Cab Franc, “The Weird Ones are Wolves” was what first got me hooked, and I loved the 1 bottle I had of their Dark Days / Blaufränkisch Rose. I tell everyone I drink with to try them, so highly recommend.

His other venture mentioned, Midland Construction, has an awesome subscription program. I’ve only had their Chardonnay so far, which I believe was its first year, but for a first year, I agree with the person who showed it to me that there’s definitely a lot of potential there.

Visit Veritas and forget the rest.

Fake view.

Went to Ankida Ridge today. Sort of near Lexington, east of I-81.

Nice lineup of wines. The Chardonnay was pretty good. Decent fruit and acidity. 10/90 new/neutral oak.

Their Pinot Noir was excellent for Virginia and would hold its own with some form the West Coast. I would characterize it more in the Oregon style without that gush of fruit you can get from the Russian River Pinots. An earthy nose showing fruit and good fruit on the palette with a dash of finishing acidity. At $44 it’s an iffy buy. But we bought one and we’ll see what it does over time.

They also had a Vert:tart apples and great acidity. a Bordeaux blend that was OK and nothing special. Their winemaker is married to the Stinson winemaker so they sell Stinson’s Rose of Tannat. That’s pretty good. Finished off with a too sweet dessert wine.

Definitely worth a stop if one is in the area. It’s in the middle of, literally, nowhere.

I’ve known Andrew Hodson for a long time, and even he would say you are WAY off base.

1 Like

It’s the extent one has to go to make reasonable Pinot Noir in Virginia. Almost the extreme RdV had to go to make quality Cab Sauv. Will applaud the Chard, one of the few to rival/parallel Linden, and a fair chance to improve as the vines mature.