Vintage Wine Warehouse in Queens moving

It won’t help location wise, as it is also in Westchester, but I have had the most amazing service over the years from River Valley. It is one thing to store wine, but they have saved me literally thousands of dollars alerting me to any problems when the wine comes in.

BTW, all is not lost if your wine ends up in Briarcliff. When you come to visit your bottles, you will be close to some of the best cheeseburgers in the tristate area (Squires).

2 Likes

Yes, Vinovault bought Jeff Troy’s storage business three years or so ago. I’d stored there for 25+ years, and it seemed like a positive move. Vinovault seemed to have better systems and was re-inventorying things. (I took my wine out two years ago because I now have space at a weekend home.)

Jeff is still operating the retail business, I believe.

Back in the mid-2000s, there was a storage place in Dumbo, Brooklyn that closed with about a months’ notice, leaving a lot of people in the lurch. The Chelsea Wine Vault storage quickly filled up and a lot of people had to send stuff to New Jersey.

I’d thought about using the Dumbo facility, and was very glad I didn’t!

1 Like

The Chelsea Wine Vault thing didn’t work out so well.

What happened with chelsea?

1 Like

This isn’t the worst one…

Here’s the thread:

1 Like

Well, any excuse to pop in on you and say hello would be welcome (even if it means a trip to Squires :wink: )

1 Like

It was expensive but worked well for 10 years for most of us. Probably the most fun wine gatherings I’ve ever attended were there, around the table with other customers on Saturday afternoons.

Eventually, the owners decided they didn’t want consumer customers and wanted to focus on storage for the trade, so they doubled and tripled rates and all the fun customers left.

1 Like

John,

While I appreciate your experience at CWV, the story isn’t nearly as simple or benign as you make it out to be.

1 Like

I’d never heard about dumping clients’ wines. But many of us were happy customers there for a decade.

Fixed

2 Likes

The story John refers to predated the outright malfeasance of selling client wines. Both occurred. I was at Chelsea for 17 years until they tried to increase my and my cellaring partners’ cost by 250% (3.5x) with 4 weeks notice. I left pronto.

1 Like

Yup they started charging $10 per case/month so I left as well.

I couldn’t recommend horseridge cellars more for people in the tri state area. Yes they are near Hartford Connecticut but

A) they come to the tri state area 1-3 times a month with a van and if you email them they pickup and drop off for free(they charge for the time in the warehouse to do stuff though obviously). Anytime I ever requested wine by their website or by email they would always come within days to at most two weeks. If you absolutely need them to come a specific day I believe they will do it and charge you.

B) at least when I researched this 5 years ago they were cheaper than anywhere in tri state area

C) the facility was an old vault were all the insurance companies 1950s in the Hartford group together and build this facility to store their records in case of something like a nuclear attack. It’s underground and naturally cool last I heard that it is filling up.

3 Likes

Jayson,

I’m not discounting your positive experiences. That said, you have no way of knowing when the malfeasance started.

The idea that they wanted to focus on storage for the trade vs. consumer storage seems more than a bit fishy if you couple that decision with the knowledge of the bad stuff. Seems to me like they were desperate to raise cash and were forced to raise storage rates.

???

It’s fairly certain and known that the issues we are talking about here started with a a generational change from owner to his daughter and son-in-law that occurred in 2016. It’s all tied together.

This is going to sound blunt but your supposition about cause and effect is pure speculation and largely contrary to what I and others understand happened.

That may be the case. I don’t know and neither do you.

But I do know for certain about a client of theirs who had well into six figures of wine stolen. And they (CWV) were so blatant that they put the wines (some of which were custom labeled to commemorate the birth of a child) on the retail shelves for sale.

1 Like

At least some of you got emails. Looks like I had to find out from this thread…

1 Like

A couple friends of mine weren’t notified either- I had to forward them the email.

Just a strange way to do business all around.

Vinovault seems very professional but the monthly minimums are a bit high. If I had 4x more wine, the rates would be great and the location is perfect.