VINTAGE SPECIFIC Wined You've Bought (Fairly Recently) in Industrial Quantities at Close to Regular Pricing

Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc - happy wife happy life!

1 Like

Jonathan,
I’ve often had trouble figuring out which were the “best” vintages; hence, my reliance on producer and dirt.
Best, Jim

1 Like

I definitely have a handful of producers that I typically buy every vintage and am rarely disappointed, like:

Gonon
Roilette
Thivin
Lapierre Morgan SS
Baudry
Rougeard
Levet
Bedrock Zins

I definitely vintage shop in Bordeaux, but often find that I am counter-critic on which vintage is best. I know the critics love 18, 15, 09, etc. I prefer 14 and 08, 04 and 01, and think 11 made some great Pomerols.

In the Southern Rhone, I don’t have any trouble figuring out which are the vintages I like best. I’ve usually lived there through much of the growing period and I can taste even the wines whose domaines I do not visit regularly at various outlets and public tastings. Even so, I still have an interest in seeing what certain domaines with whom I have long experience will do with different vintages, even in my case, the solar vintages that garner the big reviews. In other areas, like you I follow on past experiences to focus on producers I like from appelations I like. I have no doubt I miss out this way but, I have found, FOMA, like running speed, diminishes with age until it shrinks away to nothing.

Great discussions here.

Please note that this tread is about specific vintages that you went big on not wines you buy every year. That topic appears quite regularly on here.

So which vintage-specific wines have you bought in large quantities (multiple cases) recently?

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks.

I don’t buy this way - I’ve figured out that what I like in my drinking is variety, so buy to match that. The closest I’ve come is 2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett, bought just over a case. Yum.

But - if I could find it, I’d be delighted to buy multiple cases of Falkenstein Spatlese Feinherb (yes, there are many, but I like them all).

1 Like

I didn’t have any trouble buying a case of 19 and 20 Meyer Nepal with more available. It’s definitely out there. Mags are definitely harder to find more than 1 or 2.

1 Like

Grand Puy Lacoste for 96, 00, 05, and 16. Togni for 92 and 04. I backed up the truck for ‘08 DP a few years ago, emptied it out and then loaded the truck up again for the ‘19 Ch. Canon.

I have purchased 20 bottles of 2008 Huet Le Mont DS - over five or six purchases - still have 7 (just bought three more when I saw i was down to four).

Bought 30 bottles (over five or six purchases) of 1990 Trimbach CFE VT. None left.

Is this the type of info you are looking for?

“None left.”
-sigh-

27 total bottles - including 2 mags - of 2018 Geyserville, 19 have already been consumed.

21 bottles of 2018 Franny Beck rosé of Pinot Noir. 2 remaining.

19 bottles of 2018 Bedrock CA Syrah - none left.

1 Like

I think this is the first example of a wine to fit the parameters, but only the 27 bottles of Ridge.

If I’m figuring this out must correctly it must be be multiple cases, recent purchase, and of one vintage.

1 Like

I’ve never bought more than 12 bottles of one wine. It’s hard for me to justify buying that much of a single bottling in a given vintage even if I had the funds to do so. Especially with German wine, for example, there haven’t been any recent vintages where my favorite producers clearly missed their mark, and I enjoy the nuances and variation between vintages.

That being said, I did go big on 2019 German wine, having bought 12 bottles each of 2019 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett and 2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett. Plus 3 or 6 bottle quantities of many others.

Lots and lots of case purchases. In larger quantities, I suppose 5 cases of 2015 Emrich-Schonleber Halenberg GG. I do buy that wine every year, but rarely in quantities that large, so I think it counts for this thread.

Also recently, 3 cases of a certain champagne I fell in love with, but which shall remain nameless for obvious reasons.

2 cases of the 2018 Vallana Spanna.

Plenty of others, though some are deals or every vintages purchases.

I have a huge amount of 07 Climens in .375s. My anniversary year, my wife loves it, she always finds it special when we open one, and it should age forever.

if i could ever find it at a non silly price i would be a buyer for 2016 Produttori Riservas like this. but it gets harder to justify it at close to $100/bottle. the 2016s have been really weirdly released too. previous years its kinda seemed like everyone gets them at a similar time, this year it seems like everyone can kind of set their own price because at any given time theyre the only ones who actually have any for sale

Yes, I guess my parameters were a bit too difficult to meet. Maybe anything over12 bottles is enough.

Also, it’s difficult to determine when these purchases were made unless they are recent vintages.

Sarah, I tried the 18 Vallana by the glass recently and am curious as to your take on it.

Haven’t tried it yet. I have a plethora of Vallana 07, 08, 10, 13, and 16. No plans to taste the 2018 anytime soon as these always benefit from at least 5 years.

What did you think? Gilman liked it a lot.

I wanted to like it more than I did. Was wound up super tight, surprise, and took a lot of coaxing to get at anything underneath, just seemed overly lean even at its tender age. I thought there would be more size to the core of fruit than their was. May have caught it at a bad time but I passed based on that tasting. Will probably regret it in 10 years. If you have two cases you should pop a cork and see what you think.