Vintage sherries: time for a rant

The excellent 1982 Byass palo Cortado is still available from Spanish table. I intended to buy a bottle of the 1978 while in London but someone bought all the bottles at Whiskey Exchange before I got here :frowning:

Yes sorry about that guys - I am conscious that my geographic station gives me opportunities that others donā€™t have, but who knows, if we can convince the bodegas that this is the way forward maybe the distribution will follow. I would like to go back to the GB Palo Cortados de AƱada and the way these things are dropping out of the sky lately who knows ā€¦

Thank you for the heads-up Jay. Those damn Brits! I am sure Andrew wonā€™t take offense because he is a Mancunian. I believe they are seceding to join Scotland.

David, the Hidalgo La Gitana 1986 is available at a place called IZO in Oregon. Check out this link. The Pro subscription to Wine Searcher pays off at times like this.

Andrew, please keep 'em coming. A friend of mine here in Chicago and I are starting up a small dining group that will be dedicated to trying these small production Sherries and Madeiras as well. This thread has been great for putting together our target list of great stuff. Thanks for keeping us informed on great Sherries.

David, No offense taken! I can assure you the Republic of Mancunia has no intention of joining other regional blocs.

John, that is a great find - to be honest I didnā€™t have any hope at all (this one came as a gift to my friend from one of the family at the bodega) many thanks indeed it is great to hear about the dining group. Hope you will let me know what you reckon!

Thank you John. I have W-S Pro, but I must not have logged into Pro when I checked. Kind of a pet peeve of mine that it doesnā€™t keep me logged in. Portlandia is a Sherry hot spot as proven by having its own SherryFest! I have bought from a couple places there in the past.

They certainly seem to have a sherry connection up there in Oregon - there is a bar called Bar Vivant with a sherry list that would be amazing by any standards.

I recently got my hands on a bottle of 1975 Emilio Lustau Palo Cortado ā€œCarrascalā€ and canā€™t find any information on the www. I know what Palo Cortado is, and I know what Carrascal is, but I see no reference to this release from Lustau. I did e-mail the good people at Lustau, but I welcome any information from the Sherry cognoscenti here.

Hey David, I have some good contacts there let me see if I can find something out. Will shoot them a message now, Andrew

Thank you Andrew.

In case of interest, wanted to share a post linking to my latest post for sherry.wine on this topic. Vintages past, present, and future | undertheflor.com

Andrew, do you have any thoughts on the sherries from Antonio de la Riva?

All I know is that I wish I had some direct experience! One of the legendary names of Jerez wines and much missed bodegas. Very famous macharnudo alto wines that I occasionally glimpse on the twitter streams of the top guys here in Spain. If you have some let me know when you taste them.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. My little group of six just acquired a bottle of the Riva Amontillado Reserva. The retailer (a very reliable company) said this solera was established in 1770. I always take that with a grain of salt, only because thereā€™s no way of knowing how old the actual wine in the bottle unless the maker tells you how they manage the solera.

Thereā€™s hardly any information on the web about Antonio de la Riva, so Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what labeling is on the bottle and how it tastes. Iā€™ll definitely report back. We open it on August 26.

John, my understanding is that De la Riva the bodega was, like the vast majority, founded in the late 19th Century (in fact, the solera system wasnā€™t common until then). It may be that the solera really is that old but if it is then De la Riva acquired it from someone else.
However, I know people who know a lot more about this than I - will ask and will let you know what I can find out.