Vintage and Harvest 2009: Napa/Sonoma/North Coast

Nice showers this morning, after a stretch of beautiful warm days, and nights. We are getting double popcorn on Syrah in Kimberly’s vineyard. It’s the first vineyard to push/ripen in the valley. We’re still doing some late prunning in the lower spots, which can be susceptible to late frost.

Geez-us its freakin’ blowing out there! It started very early this morning before daylight and has just kept building as the morning has gone on. I’m gonna say we’re seeing gusts of 40-50 mph now.

I guess this low off the coast that promised rain for us is pin-wheeling out there and maybe just teasing us. There’s still some possible precip coming this week, but the weather watchers are having a hard time these days.

Here’s another weird thing from this morning. I could hear a bunch of pumps and wind machines going down in the valley around 4:00 am, while we were sitting at 42 degress just a thousand feet up the hill. [dontknow.gif]

NWS is calling for lows in the mid to upper 20’s on tues/wed. mornings. Man, I hope we have some cloud cover. [beg.gif] Things are starting to leaf out in Kimberly’s vineyard.

Start some fires, John.

I don’t think that will do it Linda but we’ll give it a try anyway. [gen_fro.gif]

Good luck anyway.

How’s it looking for you in Paso, Leenda? Looking pretty scary tommorow morning.

Friggin’ crazy weather!! [d_sunny.gif] Highs of 92 expected for the next three days. WTF? In April? Crazy global climate change, at it again. It’s actually nice- it will get those vines moving after sitting in winter like conditions for the last couple of weeks. The season is ON!

It’s very crazy weather, high 80’s here for the next few days and then cooling the end of the week into the weekend with a chance of rain Fri-Sun. according to the weather people

DAMN IS IT HOT

No shit! In fifteen years here in Orleans, I’ve never seen 100 degree weather in April. [heat.gif]

We had summer like temps the beginning of the week then a cool down Thursday and about 10 minutes ago it started raining and now it’s sprinkling lightly with blue sky around us & a rainbow.

Getting some more rain today. Perfect timing as we just spread compost and oyster shell flour yesterday. Finshing up the shoot thinning, we’re leaving more on the afternoon sides to prevent sunburn. The crop looks small/medium for us this year with lower than normal vigor. We did have a cool wet spring last year, so I guess it makes sence.

We got over 6 inches in the last set of storms. Perfect timing for the spring Chinook Salmon run. Sure is cool though. Looks like it might be another late year.

I really feel for all the growers in BDX, Owch!!! [blackeye.gif]

Weather is starting to cool down a bit today after a string of low to mid ninty days, and warm nights. We’ve been fertigating with a digested fish/ kelp mix to keep those shoots growing at a nice steady pace. Clusters are looking longer/more elongated than years past. Interesting.