Vino-Voyage TSA-Approved Wine Suitcase

I love my elite and often use it to bring bottles + glasses to tastings (GGGs fit nicely within the styro shipper). Because wine flies free on Alaska, it’s pretty much my constant companion when shuttling between SF/Portland

I have both the VGV and Wine Check. Have used for wine trips back from France, Italy, California and Oregon without any issue. Full loaded the VGV has been between 50-52 lbs. If I only take one on a trip it’s the VGV.

My Pelican is outfitted for 8 bottles. Never a wine missing or broken. It’s a serious looking piece of equipment, and the airlines appear to look at it as such.

I used a vingarde valise last March to haul 9 bottles of California wine to Germany. I stuffed the extra pockets with gifts such as coffee etc. I brought back 9 bottles as well and the extra space was used for preserves jars and chocolate. It worked great. It was easy to roll and easy to carry and put on train luggage racks thanks to the multiple handles. I think it could handle 12 bottles, as I packed it 6 on one side and 3 one the other for the outbound journey.

I use my winecheck for non-wine transport too. I put a box in it, fill it up and fly it to France. I pull the stuff out I am transporting one-way. Fold it up and fly it back in another luggage or carry it on.

You all are making it tough to pick a winner here. I think I have the answer and then a new idea comes in and then another. I’m going to do a spread sheet and list the pros and cons of each and see what the consensus is; well, maybe not. I’m leaning toward the VGV; no I’m leaning toward the Wine Check; no I’m just leaning.

The vgv is MUCH easier to move around if that’s a consideration.

Agreed. It’s just like my other spinner suitcases…telescoping handle and security locks.

We’ve used this CasePro 12-bottle for a couple of years now. I’ve flown cross country with it and it’s been solid. It is a beast though… looks more like an ammo case or stage equipment coming off the belt.
CasePro 12 Bottle

It looked good until I got to the last spec that says it weights 25 lbs when empty. No way will it work for the 50lb limit, but it will at least come close for 1st class/ Business which is 70lbs.

Wine Check user. Will be taking it to Oregon again in a few weeks. I’m a cheap flyer and Southwest has never had an issue with it.

Especially on short trips, we have packed a 6 pk shipper in our wine check and used the extra space for clothing etc. Never had a problem.

If you have an option to fly Alaska Airlines, they do not charge for a case of wine check in.

Alaska Air doesn’t fly far enough East to be a choice for us that I’ve found. But, I did look at using them for a leg of a trip to cut out driving from Bend to PDX.

I was sceptical about Alaska reaching to the Midwest, but not sure. Hopefully, others can take advantage of their kind offer.

It seems like the crux of it is whether you want a hard wine suitcase or a collapsible soft suitcase into which you can put shipper boxes.

The former looks nicer and is probably easier to maneuver in the way of rolling luggage when full, the latter gives you more flexibility about collapsing it on legs where you don’t need it (or while storing it at home) and is far less expensive.

There’s no real right answer, it’s just which route you want to go and how much you want to spend.

Your right Chris. I get so many wines shipped and have lots of styrofoam inserts stored, it’s easy to refill a shipper that utilities them. It makes a collapsible one very practical. I’m pondering. Probably go with both just to get er done.

I knew the flew out of Dallas. But didn’t realize they flew to a bunch more Midwest cities. Just reviewed their website and found they fly in/out of OKC. But, that’s 90 miles away and a flight would have to be very compelling to get me to drive that far. Maybe they’ll add TUL soon.

Somewhere there’s a post where you responded to my post about getting a full case in a VGV and asked me to post next time I flew with a VGV and tried to do so. The quoted post isn’t that post, but I can’t find that one and this is close enough, so replying here instead.

Just flew with a VGV with 10 750 + 1 Mag and it weighed in at 47 pounds. Of course, no bubbles and no big oversize bottles. Lots of standard Bdx/Burg/Riesling bottles. No sweat.