Vienna restaurants

Timely thread. I’ll be in Vienna over for NYE (and the surrounding days). Keep the recs coming.

1 Like

I’ve had two restaurants tell us they will be happy to seat us if they are allowed to be open. Ugh.

1 Like

My concern over the situation is escalating. I would be pretty sad to have to cancel, but I don’t want to go and be locked down. If you hear anything more, I’d love if you shared it here or messaged me.

Will do. I’ve got an apartment rental that a 50% refund deadline comes up in two days. If he won’t wave that I’m going to probably cancel it then see what happens.

All of Austria will be in lockdown as of Monday, with a proposed end date of Dec. 12. Austria’s current Covid rate is over 1000 per 100000. Good luck to those of you hoping to travel in later Dec. Stay well!

I am not hopeful. I see Bavaria locked down and cancelled their Christmas markets. I am starting to think I am fooling myself and am inches away from simply cancelling Austria, and going next year.

We visit my daughter in London right before, and I have concerns about the direction they are going, too.

Wow COVID rate 8x the US currently

Austria does not look good right now. The question is how much will the lockdown drive the covid rate down. Even if it drops it by half, you are still looking at a rat of 500/100000. Just like everywhere else, the ICUs are filled overwhelmingly with non-vaccinated patients along with a few vaccinated patients with co-morbidities. Vienna is a bit better than Austria on average. Salzburg is the major city and region really getting slammed now, but “better” is relative. Austria also now has a vaccine requirement as of Feb. I believe this makes them the first Western country to institute one, but that will be after your trip.

But if you missed out on last summer’s protests you can get on the action in Vienna.

1 Like

I pulled the plug. Final nail was that as of December 6, Austria now says all vaccinations are only valid for 270 days (was 360 for two shot vaccinations). We were all shot up in Feb. my wife n I are getting boosters but one daughter is in UK where boosters are bot available to her. So she can’t enter Austria.

Too dicey anyway. Vienna boys choir mass Christmas morning told me to fuck off when I asked about a refund. [snort.gif]

Bummer.

Too bad about cancelling, but very understandable give the current situation. I hope you can make up the trip sometime.

My wife and daughters are bummed. No real other Continent options that look good, either. Oh well! Rebook for spring.

Going next month. Thinking of

MAST wine bar (never been)
Opus (Loved it in 2018)
Silvio Nichol Palais (never been, mentioned upthread, near my hotel)
Steirerecke for the big meal

Mraz and Sohn seemed like too many courses, as did Amador

Need a couple of casual places that are more veg/fsh than meat.

Anyone care to share thoughts on

Meierei im Stadtpark for lunch
Cafe Sacher for Sacher Torte
Umar Fisch and Umar Fischbar
Dining Ruhm

Also curious about
Edvard
Vestibul
Opus in the last year or two

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Demel for the Eszterhazy Torte instead, but I hear the lines are really long now. I enjoyed my meals at what is now Salonplafond Im Mak. If the Eisvogel restaurant in the Prater is still open, that was very good. Go and come safe, Barry!

2 Likes

Thanks! Demel is 3 blocks from my hotel.

I think you mean lines for the cafe, but given the proximity, I might just do it to go.

probably yes. And, of course, Steierecke. My one meal there was quite memorable, especially for the service and atmosphere

1 Like

There a number of different seating options at Hotel Sacher for Sacher Torte. We found upstairs to be more private than downstairs, although it is very red. We preferred Demel to Hotel Sacher for pastries, but enjoyed some of their chocolate treatments at the spa. Time to Chocolate | Hotel Sacher Vienna

I was never a big fan of Sacher torte but the lamb at that hotel is superb.

I knew there was something off about you. :rofl:

1 Like

If you live in Vienna you have to pick sides and I was definitely on team demel.