Vibration

Wouldn’t even a little vibration affect sediment?

Aren’t there devices that shake and stir up solutions to accelerate chemical processes? Wouldn’t the same principles apply to the aging of wine?

You are undermining my faith in your omniscience.

[video]The simpsons April fools - YouTube

Bonus! Yes! It would do an excellent job of ensuring any sediment settling on the sides of the bottle would come loose and fall to the bottom. Makes decanting off the sediment easier!

I meant it might stir it up enough that the sediment would dissolve back into solution, but you can look at it that way… I guess.

I believe sediment is not soluble. So all you could do is resuspend it.

Yours pedantically,

I don’t think sediment could dissolve back into the wine! That doesn’t seem plausible, given how sediment forms.

I’m 94 on vibration.

Putting aside the question of the direct impact of vibration on the aging wine, another possible effect is on cork closures. I can’t say I have seen any research directly on this point, but apparently there is some indicating that different cork treatments (and particularly peroxide) might adversely affect cork elasticity. Despite all of the focus on corks and closures in connection with the premox issue, I’ve seen no study of how vibration might impact the quality of closure over time. I’ve also read (in Coates and elsewhere I believe) that the rate premox incidence is higher in the US than Europe. Again this seems based on non-scientific evidence. If that is the case and the wines in question are transported in temperature-controlled containers and vehicles, then vibration might be a contributor to closure failure.