Vibes & Photos From A Week In Piedmont

Ken,
What is the style of Cappellano?

I also love this thread. I spent 10 days in Barolo last may…my favorite wine region to visit.

Quite traditional winemaking. All their Barolo now comes from the Gabutti vineyard in Serralunga, and I would say they are classic Serralunga Barolo with power and finesse.

Dolcetto 2012- Delightful and fresh; lovely purity as the wine sings from the glass. Good weight and texture- faint pippy grip in the finish. I would drink this every night of the week.

Barbera 2011- Olek loves his Barbera. I can see why. This is layered and up front. No pretenses, the old fruit gives a creamy texture with some light spice from the old wood. Again,very drinkable.

2011 & 2012 Roncagliette from the barrel. The 2011 was excellent. Very good length and with fresh and florally red fruits on the front and mid palate. High levels of finesse and fruit purity. 2012 was unfinished material.

Olek suggested his Barbaresco will have great longevity in good vintages. I bought a few cases of his 08 and he said it would do 20 years or so comfortably. If you like drinking wine with a sense of place and backing a very nice bloke, source out some of Olek’s wines. Available in Australia which he has a passion for from his time working in Mildura/McLaren Vale and general bumming around the countryside surfing.[/quote]

Hi Jamie,
Looks like you are having one hell of a time! I’m so jealous as this is the first year in 4 that I was not able to make it over for “Nebbiolo Prima”… I hear they really changed the format so I hope that Greg or any of the other attendees will post their notes on the recent Barolo/Barbaresco vintages.

Curious if you tried Olek’s '10s from bottle?

Safe travels!

g.

Hi George,

Sorry, missed this one, yes, I tried Olek’s 2010 Barbaresco regular and Barbaresco Roncagliette.

The 2010 Barbaresco was beautiful; classical purity on the nose, with upfront fruit on the palate making it quite approachable in its long length and mid palate austerity.

The 2010 Roncagliette I can’t rate. I don’t know if we baked it in the car or shook it up but it was hot and disjointed over dinner. I asked for it to be put in the fridge to be cooled as I initially though it too warm. Still disjointed so I’d like to have another look.

Great notes and pics. Piedmonte is one of our favorite places to visit. I even like Chinato and brought back a couple of bottles on our last trip.

Terrific write up. Thank you Jamie!