Value plays in St. Julien...

1990 was good for Moulin Rouge, but I expect the flurry of recent good years should be good too.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7307

I rarely see it in my area though.

1 Like

The usual suspects: 2016 and 2019.

I think CT reviews tend to skew high for highly rated and highly priced wines, and skew low for cheaper, less well-known wines. But it isn’t really something I look at, unless I know the reviewer by name.

1 Like

Just grabbed a mixed case of 2016 and 2019s of Langoa Barton and Branaire Ducru for under $60 each. Classified Growths from quality vintages, quite a deal. Lagrange remains similarly priced.

1 Like

Never tried it, but wow, the retailer from whom I just bought the mixed case above has the 2016 for $15!

Liked reading this from that website:

Chateau du Moulin Rouge was founded in the 18th century. The estate lies less than 2 Km South of Chateau Beychevelle along D2, the main road through the Medoc. Currently the 13th generation is currently running the Chateau. It still is a family operation. The estate covers 27 hectares but only 18 hectares are planted with 50% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet Franc.

I was fortunate during my years of introduction to bordeaux that my my local retailer in NJ was a big fan of this wine, and kept it stocked. Do not see it in my current state, Florida. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

CTis not very helpful re: scores, as noted. I think it is helpful on understanding how a wine is drinking at any given time.

2 Likes

From my TWA write up (I would guess that the retailer might be subscribed :sweat_smile:):

This 25-hectare family-owned estate is one of the Médoc’s most dependably charming, delicious cru Bourgeois. Located in Cussac, just to the south of Saint-Julien, Moulin-Rouge began estate bottling in 1945, but the family’s roots go back a lot longer. Boasting an appreciable percentage of old vines, the estate is planted with around 50% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet Franc, and the soils are cultivated mechanically with a large majority of the fruit hand harvested. In 2013, Lucie Secret and Geoffrey Ribeiro took the helm from their parents and renovated the winery’s materiel, moving to a vertical press. Barrels are sourced from Nadalié, Taransaud and Séguin Moreau. The style here is supple and fleshy while remaining classical Médocain: wines to buy by the case!

2 Likes

I have not tried recent Lagrange but based on past vintages I would say they are a less interesting wine than Branaire Ducru and certainly Gruaud which IMO is underrated 2000 and after.

Try 2019 and get back to us!

1 Like

Interesting that they are 80% cab in that year. In the past I seem to remember that Lagrange had a rep for a lot of thin, overcropped merlot in the blend.