Value Of OldDom Perignon

Robert. . . when you comment or reply to a comment, you should see three red buttons “save draft” “Preview” and “submit”. UNDER that. . . you should see “options” and “upload attachment.” The upload attachment is in gray. Once you click that, you can attach images. Hope that helped.

See Mel’s screenshot attached above my post.

Juyuan

no - my page doesn’t look like that all - there is NOTHING above Disable BBCODE except the red block that says OPTIONS - maybe you have to be a subscriber in order to be able to upload? I dunno - but the option is NOT here on my screen…

o - I am very computer savvy and I just don’t have the upload box - not in the original screen and not after making a post and clicking on preview - maybe someone can message me with an email address and I could email the pics to them and they could post them for me?

take a photo of your screen and upload it?

jk

why don’t you just upload the photo to any free photo hosting site and link it?

Imgur

I just sent them to a member who voulenteered to post them - you all should have the pics as soon as he is able to post them :O)

3.png
2.png
1.png
here are the shots

actually surprised by the fill. Could mean good provenance.

Could be the lighting but at least one of them looks to be the color of Coca Cola, no?

I buy and drink a fair amount of mature Champagne including DP and I would not buy those bottles based on the fill levels.

I’m a little more concerned about the color than the fill. Champagnes don’t ullage the way still wines do because of the pressurized corks. But the CO2 does come out of solution, resulting in what looks like ullage but is the CO2 sitting on top of the liquid. But even through the green glass, the colors look way too dark. I’m thinking heat damage.

John,

Always hard to tell from pictures. The color of the capsules can’t be true, so I’m not confident of the true color of the contents based on the pics. I can tell you that I’ve drunk a number of Champagnes that had the fill level in those pics and it is rare that they are sound.

Those “capsules” look like wax dips to me, so they could be the correct color.

You couldn’t pay me to buy those. And what’s with the 6" wide cork behind the bottles in pic #1? It looks like a staged/stock picture.

That’s not a cork, it’s that paper maché / fiberboard cover standing up in the other picture. Maybe the original packing in the cases?

Can you tell me (us) more about the palate on those wines that weren’t “sound”. I know I’ve had those that are like very old Chardonnay, which can be on the ragged edge between drinkable/interesting and “DOA”. I am interested to know what you experienced on the palate, just as a point of reference.

There’s no doubt that these are questionable, and once the CO2 comes out of solution just about anything can happen to the wine.

thanX to Mel for posting the pics - thanX so much…

no its not a cork - its the mache liner from a case - as I said in the original post these bottles are what is left over from a case of each that were purchased celebrating her wedding year and the birth of her son - I also mentioned that I sell antiques - so yes - all of my pictures are staged to make whatever I am selling look nice! no need to be critical - I have clearly been honest from the very start and have never tried to falsly misrepresent these bottles as more than they are…

concerning the comment by someone above about if she knew they were good she would have sent to auction - my experience is that is just not true - average people just don’t know these things - at the consignment shop I have people bring me in objects from their past and they are absolutely shocked at the values I price them at and what they will get in return - people give away very very valuable things all the time - my guess is that the husband (who is deceased) probably stored these items and she had nothing to do with it - I am still NOT suggesting that they were ever stored “properly” - and I have no way of ever finding that out… this is SOUTH Florida and most peeps here (unless snowbirds) keep the air conditioning on all year round - we don’t ever turn on inside heat here - it NEVER gets that cold - it is ALWAYS warm here outside - my GUESS is that these bottles have been stored in a relatively steady temp of 72-76 degrees - and not lower as you have all suggested that it should be… under no circumstances would I lie about knowing or sell them as drinkable - I was just trying to figure out a fair value considering how seldom you see bottles of this vintage…

ohh - and concerning the above post about the empty bottles selling on eBay - the $500 bottle just wasn’t an isolated case - here is an empty bottle selling for even more -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dom-Perignon-Luminous-Rose-dummy-bottle-Purple-Not-for-sale-Item-Very-rare-/161270354700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258c76530c

yes - it is based on rarity - and I suggest that my bottles from the 50’s are also pretty freakin rare - you wont find ANY for sale…

in the completed auctions results you will still also find an abundance of bottles of Dom just from the 70’s 80’s and 90’s that are bringing $300-400 price range…

I am not trying to make a case that my bottles are priceless - I clearly admit that they cant be sold as drinkable - but for the few neysayers who say they aren’t worth a penny that is just garbage - they obviously have a decent amount of appeal to collectors as a collect item… what the fair price for both parties concerned is what I was tring to figure out…

Dude that is a plug in lamp

LOL.
Matt, This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. [head-bang.gif]

Robert, with all due respect to your profession. For many of this group this is OUR profession or OUR sometimes far too time consuming passion. You’re arguing about the worth of these bottles, whether sold as undrinkable or otherwise, from people who know what they are talking about. Yet you keep trying to get people to agree with you that these should be worth some incredible amount of money per bottle. Time to give it up. That is not going to happen. Listen to what people here are telling you. If you don’t believe us, by all means put them in your shop and try to sell them to some sucker who has more money than brains. If you succeed that’s great for you. But no one in this group is going to agree with you these most likely undrinkable bottles are worth $500+ each.