UPDATES: Cab Sauv Suggestions in the AFWE realm

+1. I thought it to be fairly complex too.

Broadside is another inexpensive suggestion.

At $60, Stony Hill.

Howard, you’ve mentioned this wine before. Are they available locally? You’ve interested me enough to try a bottle

Brandon- some good suggestions and my top choice for what your looking for would be Calluna Vineyards in Sonoma. Really terrific wines in the style your looking for at attractive pricing for California if you join the club.

I would also agree with EMH, Ridge, Mount Eden, and add Santa Cruz Mtn, Matthiason and Detert( you can buy some nice library vintages direct from the winery though above the price target)

A bit above your price point and wines that ride the line between modern and classic but I would all apply the balanced tag with- Forman, Bressler, Di Costanzo, Drinkward Peschon, Trujilio

Neil/David- My experience with Ramey Napa cab is a little different from yours at least the 2008 which I had a 6 pack of over the years. Perhaps more recent vintages are more modern.

Cheers,
Fred

This requires 3 bottles but is fantastic:
80% 2013 Almaviva
10% 05 cos d’estournel
10% 88 Las Cases

Definitely sacrilegious, but a fantastic home blend that tastes like restrained and wildly complex napa… won’t fit the price, so buy ridge, Dunn and every once in a while Togni for that. Preferably with 7-10+ years on em.

Brandon, circling back to our little sub-discussion about Bordeaux, I would look for some back vintages of Sociando Mallet and Cantemerle. They are both classic, unspoofulated Bordeaux in your price range. 2003 Sociando is a classic wine in a roper year and you can find it now for about $65-75 if I remember correctly. If you want an even cheaper example, order some super cheap Lanessan from K&L from a good year (i.e. 90,95,96,00,03,05) and see if it scratches the itch…

Now back to your California programming!

No. You have to order them from the winery and they won’t release the next one for a few months. I bought and really liked some 2007. I have bought the last couple of vintages, and, while I have not tried them, from Gilman’s reviews, they sound similar to the 2007.

My sense Neal, is that you like more powerful wine than I do, and this is, from what I tasted, an AFWE wine, at least as much as a California Cab can be. Unfortunately, they have not been making red wine that long, so none are really mature, but I am optimistic. I mean, if they can make Chardonnay that ages well, it should be relatively easy to make cab that does

The 2007 would have been the ‘Red Wine’, correct? Don’t think the first vintage of Cabernet was until 2009.

Back in May they had a warehouse sale sort of thing at the winery and had a bunch of the Red Wine open, 05 and 07 I believe. Neither were impressive and both seemed like they may have been past peak.

The Cabernet definitely has more stuffing and concentration (now that the vines have matured a bit) and make me think it’s what young Dominus tasted like in the early 90s.

And they do distribute the Cab but it seems like their retail price is also wholesale price so it ends up being $90 on a store’s shelf.

I’m promiscuous, Howard. Like like wines of most sizes, so long as they aren’t at either tail of the bell curve.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

I actually have a 2000 Hyde de Villaine that i’ll be trying here very soon and I acquired an Arnot and Mount Eden so we shall see. I will keep you folks updated!

Calluna, no questions asked. I have nothing to do with it, but I have huge respect for their winemaking.

Russell Bevan
Bevan Cellars

I’ll second Mike on that. Generally right around 13% alcohol. Kenny is also making a Cabernet from Bates Ranch in Santa Cruz under his Ghostwriter label. Compelling stuff, although it may be hard to locate.

I can’t praise his wines highly enough.

I’ll try updating the original post with my findings.

Tasting Notes:

2000 Hyde De Villaine blend. Lots of tart red cherry and cassis on the nose with a bit of dirt/funk. The wine is in a great window right now. Almost all tannins are resolved and has great acidity with a long finish. There’s only a hint of alcohol and no sign of oak at this point and it’s pairing perfectly with New York steak. 90 Points.

This is what I’m looking for. The balance is there and it has nuance while still being a bigger wine.