Updated: Old Vine Field Blends in Santa Rosa 3-2-13

Yep, the secret is Zinfandel and Rosso’s pizza. It’s the equivalent of Mulder taping the “X” on the window [cheers.gif]

Put me down as a plus one…also THE Michael Sai is in too. Plus one.

For the record, he is not Asian.

LOL! Lauren and I will be there - decided over a stellar bottle of 1995 Ravenswood Dickerson!

He’s not?

inside joke… :slight_smile:

Only on Friday nights.

I used to be more Asian, back in the HS days.

So, I’ve got a question about the theme. Not being party to what hatched this idea, at first glance, I thought “Old Vine, Field Blend” perfect for Rossi Vyd (1905 lots of clones and varieties), source for Thackrey’s Orion. But it’s Syrah based. After looking at some of the links here, I see that the focus is more narrow; Zin based vineyards.

I have a 2001 Luddite Zin that Steven Canter made from a 19th century Laguna Ridge Vineyard that would fit the theme. Should I bring that, or is there interest in an older Orion?

Both? grouphug

Lots of folks say Orion is PS-based these days. I can bring an old one too!

+1 Definitely bring the Orion! It’s an important historical vineyard and also unique in its varietal makeup. Although this was at some point conceived as a thorough look into the Bedrock wines, the zygote was hatched as Lachryma Montis vs. '09 Sauternes. I think the Orion will be an interesting entry.

You got me thinking of some of the more unusual field blends - a local high-end grocery here has a temperature controlled wine cellar and there’s been a bottle of Stag’s Leap ne cede malis which might be an interesting one to grab.

Would love to join plus 3 if there is still space.
Thinking the bucklin old hill ranch zin or bucklin old hill ranch Grenache & relic old vines petite sirah (I don’t think it’s a blend though) or relic ritual (not sure if the Mourvèdre is old vines). Other bottles tbd. Haven’t tried the bucklin so let me know if anyone has thoughts.

Got your PM. I’ll put you as a maybes until you can verify.

I’ll have to cut off the attendee list as of today since right now the count is 26 and I have to check to be sure the restaurant will handle a crowd bigger than 20.

Now we need to settle on a time. The restaurant gave us two windows and personally I’m leaning towards the earlier one.
5-6pm or 7:30-8pm.
They have graciously offered to accept separate checks but I think that would be a nightmare for them. Corkage is $10 but they said that for large groups they rarely charge for more than 2 bottles. This means we need to be generous with our ordering and tipping since we will be taking up valuable space.
Lets make this fun!

I’m fine with whatever you decide. What we’ve done in the past at pizzerias is family style. One price to include food, tip and corkage and they just keep bringing pizzas of different types. Family style salad and/or sides too. Your call.

Separate checks is for college students.

+1

“I only had a salad. Here’s $6.99”

Agreed. I just thought it worth mentioning how flexible they are willing to be. I’ll ask about a fixed price option.

I would like the early seating, think we will be heading home after this dinner if all goes according to plan.

So sorry to miss this event, meeting so many board members at once ! Have fun.