UPDATE U-TURN: Week 4 Virtual Tasting - Get your RHINE On - Brian Tuite - Redwood Empire Food Bank DEC16 - DEC23

Turley.jpg
2017 Turley Rattlesnake Ridge Zinfandel, Howell Mountain

Typical Turley profile with a bit of black pepper on the nose and just a little extra juiciness on the palate. (Sensations of) alcohol nicely in check when served at cellar temp in the Grassl Cru glass. Delicious in that big ripe fruit-forward way.

Bonus reflection selfie-portrait!

1 Like

Cross-posting from the Carlisle thread . . .

2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Dupratt Vineyard - Starting to try some of Mike’s 14’s . . . I’ve been drinking Carlisle zinfandels for almost 2 decades and probably drink more of these than any other wine. So when I say “WOW” it’s really a standout for me. Loved this one! Bright fruit and interesting spices. I saved half the bottle and will revisit tonight. Delicious.
carlisledupratt14.jpg

1 Like

Steady hands pouring that, Sherri?!?! [snort.gif]

2 Likes

2015 Scholium Project FTP-Z

My first Scholium wine opened by a friend - I knew what I was getting into going in by reputation, and as someone who doesn’t love overtly natty wine I was mentally preparing myself. I am assured that this was Zinfandel by the label! Upon opening, there seemed to be a bit of what could have been mouse but was mostly dominated by herbal stemminess. Otherwise, if you had told me it was a very naturalista Syrah I’d have believed you; there was a distinct olive-brine-on-the-verge-of-pickle-brine character to the palate with soft and broad dark red and purple fruits. If you’ve ever had Herve Souhaut’s Souteronne, it was somewhat like that; halfway between Gamay and Syrah. Fresh enough, herbal finish. Not my thing, but pretty cool that they were extremely old own-rooted vines. Can’t say I wouldn’t have liked to see those vines at work in a more mainstream/normcore style, though.

(unfortunately not drank chez moi so no photo of me with the bottle.)

Thank you to Brian and your matchers for your generosity.
131574289_462456531437923_1521076611930415131_n.jpg

1 Like

LOL! I finally got some of those small boston rounds bottles (to save wine for night 2 without air exposure) - had a little issue with the funnel on the first one! Wasted some wine and as you noticed, dripped all over the label!

Night two after VinVac and stored in fridge. I liked this much better without food. Black fruit with a trace and blue fruit framed a wonderful bramble streak. Maybe it does have more time left.

Brian, I saw your tasting note for Fred’s '16 The Hill and was enticed to grab three of them (and three of the '17s as well).

Glad to support you and your worthy cause.

2016 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel The Hill Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley
This pours out medium dark in the glass. First whiff is ripe blackberries and the slightest hint of camphor. Very juicy with loads of bright red and blue fruit, black cherry, raspberry and more blackberry. Still very young with some raspy edges that should resolve over time into something even more awesome.

And for some bonus points, here is “The Hill”

1 Like

Thanks for the picture Roger, lends some perspective, and for the reminder to go pick up my wines from Fred.

Moving on from OR to Zinfandel. One of our favorite grapes. But we were running low, so within the past year have added Turley, Bedrock, and Carlisle for future enjoyment. Wish I had a Scherrer…but no Zin.

2009 Jus Soli Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley

Purple to garnet, fading to rosy on the rim. Medium legs. Aromas are dark fruit dominant: blackberry, blueberry, and dark cherry. Subtle but noted are prune, vanilla, oak, light toast, cinnamon, clove, mint and cocoa. Just a bit of jam. On the palate, jam and cocoa strengthen, dark fruit maintains, others fade. Medium/full body, silky texture, medium plus finish, below medium acidity. The tannins have clearly softened. Might just be at prime. Drink now.

Cheers and hope to the Food Bank recipients!

1 Like
  • 2015 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Block 1910 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/17/2020)
    High flavor, high octane, high enjoyment. I am really glad I have tomorrow off, because I am going to consume a lot of this. It’s surprisingly bright and red fruited, where I expected something a bit more dark and perhaps even thick when I saw the 15.1% alcohol on the label. Of course I should never doubt Jake.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Sherri,

What type of glass do your normally drink Carlisle Zin from?

• 2018 Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/17/2020)
    14.9% abv. Dark ruby, expressive aromatics. On the palate, sweet blue fruit, raspberry, pomegranate and mint. Very precocious and, in fact, primary at this early stage, but it is already delicious. (93 pts.)

1 Like

I recently opened the ‘14 vintage if 1910 and was floored by how good it was. Well worth the tariff.

I think the '18 will be a stunner!

Did the name change for the 2018?

No, new label and I believe a new winemaker. The name is still 1910.

Thanks. I checked, and it’s the 1023 that got a new moniker.

2015 Bedrock Pagani - Opened for the HVS Pagani virtual tasting. Decanted 3+ hours before first pour. Really really dark color, I assume because of the Alicante B and petite sirah. Still pretty tough tannins up front, but definitely more resolves than a bottle a year ago. Really nice dark fruit on the outside of the tongue at first, that gets followed by some really nice vibrant blue fruits. Finish is nice and long, with an acidic streak. Everything I love about Pagani, but feel like this one needs a number of years to start peaking.

2 Likes

How about this, I’ll match Brian’s donation for anyone that post a note on this wine. What do you have to lose?

• 2018 Cline Cellars Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (12/17/2020)
    Okay… I know but this was an early introduction for me to Zinfandel many moons ago. Time to revisit. Grabbed it at trader joe’s.

Shocking how good this wine is and only $8. I’m sure the 2018 vintage had a role in that outcome. But still, this is a serious wine.

Great clarity, red garnet color. Nose is red berries, dark molasses and hay,

I was worried the nose might lead to residual sugar and a sloppy mess. Nope, straight up zin berry, tart cranberry and medium light oak toast.

1 Like

I am going to try to find a bottle!