Upcoming Saxum Release, what do buyers think

Joe

Taste wise yes it would but im talking about the economics of the lists we are all on

Why wouldn’t you compare them against CDP’s economically?

I’ve been buying Saxums since the first vintage the 2000 and am a huge fan of the wines. I believe Justin Smith is an extremely talented winemaker who put Paso Robles on the map. Did I enjoy buying Saxums more at $48 than the current prices? You bet I did. I bought a case of each of the Saxums plus a mag in the 2007 vintage for $75.00 a bottle. How many wineries charge twice the 750 price for a mag? Not any that I know. Boy did I have a lot of friends when the scores came out on the 2007s wanting to share my allocation. I like the wines young and aged and have had a hot bottle on occasion but not that many over the years. With the prices going up and the amount of Saxums I have ageing in my cellar I haven’t been buying as many currently as I purchased in the past buy I still buy a few of each every vintage.
Are Saxums for everyone? Certainly not but if you like the style of the Saxums they are terrific wines for my palate. What I also love is the fact that there are so many new wineries in Paso making terrific wines these days at reasonable prices.

True… Screaming Eagle sells for what… $750? and trades at 300% in the secondary market…
Doesn’t mean they aren’t expensive right? :wink:

+1

I think that was Tablas Creek, with some credit to Chateau Beaucastel.

Tables Creek makes fine wine, has no doubt upgraded Paso, and provided wood for many Rhone vineyards, all very good. But Saxum scored the first 100 pt Parker Paso wine score (before Parker score dilution), with a Wine Spectator #1 on the same wine (2007 JBV)

Best of all, as the last year before Saxum implemented purchase controls, I might have a bottle or two left in the cellar. Maybe a magnum as well…

Popped an older bottle leading into the release…

2004 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/23/2015)
pop & pour with bulgogi. a little harsh at the outset with some medicinal notes. really blossomed after 45 min. nose shows red cherry, wild strawberry, herbs de provence, and eucalyptus. palate shows bright acidity, with a coating mouthfeel. red fruit dominates, with some herbal notes as well. finish shows raspberry liqueur with a little heat. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hey, thanks for the positives. Couple quick comments…
Good to hear that 04 was drinking well, they are a mixed bag, some are great, some are a mess.
As for that 10 Broken Stones, open it in the morning or the day before, take a taste, and put the cork back in until you are ready for it. Serve at cellar temp. The 10s are still quite tight, but starting to open up. The 12s are pretty similar, they are going to need a few years in the cellar, big structure, very fresh.
Thanks everyone.

order in!

ditto

Very easy ordering process, and I really like that shipping is included.

Happy Dance !!! flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile champagne.gif [drinkers.gif] [highfive.gif] [thumbs-up.gif] [welldone.gif]

All in. Can’t believe how much I spent between this offer and Beserkerday. Wont ever pass on this however. flirtysmile

got my offer but was surprised less than a week to decide.

Does anyone know when the second wave offers start? (Justin feel free to chime in here) I am leaving Thursday for a week and I worry I may miss my offer.

Don’t know what wave I am in but…

Your next offering from Saxum Vineyards will begin Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015 and will be held it until Monday, February 9th.

Cool, thanks

If you like the style, then IMO they are well worth the money.

Thanks again for the orders. The waves are spaced a week apart. Mark R, you actually have more than a week since you are first wave, after the second wave closes though some smaller bottlings might be scarce. It’s the later waves, that time is more critical.