Upcoming Louis/Dressner Selections Grand Portfolio Tasting

I was going to post a whole list of TNs, but a bit busy today. Re the Pépière’s (BTW the first time I’ve tried them)

'12 Muscadet Sur Lie $13
This was nice drinking, but a bit weak, not so much character

'12 Muscadet Sur Lie ‘les gras Moutons’ $16
This was more interesting for me. Definitely worth the difference.

'10 Muscadet Ch. Thébaud-Clos des Morines $25
My WOTF. Take me for a spin! Mathieu said this will soon have its own AOC.

'09 Muscadet “3” $20
This seemed a bit young, but with a bright future. IIRC Mathieu said the “3” meant it spent that many years “sur lie” (does that make sense? maybe it was 3 months)

I tried a Luneau-Papin (the '05 “L” d’Or) after these, and found it much lighter but with good balance. Overall, I prefer the Pep style, but that’s just me of course.

Cuvee Trois is indeed 3 years on the lees, made from 2/3 Clisson fruit and 1/3 Chateau Thebaud fruit.

While I agree with you it’s worth noting that '05 was a good but not great vintage in Muscadet. '02 and '04 were both much better. For me the Ollivier wines are better but just by a few hairs. I’ll usually buy L d’Or as well.

IIRC, the 3 spent 3 years on the lees. It and can’t be labeled as “sur lie” because it spent too much time on the lees to qualify for that designation.

Actually just looked at my notes, and I had the '05 L-P “Pueri-Solis” two times. First bottle I loved, second one seemed completely flat (no idea why). Of course this is a pretty intense Muscadet compared to their other bottlings.

Finally I wrote up my TNs (28 wines)

Wines at Chambers St.-Louis/Dressner Selections 43rd Tasting (City Hall Restaurant, 3/26/14)

Domaine de la Pépière:
2012 Muscadet Sur Lie $13
This was nice drinking, but a bit weak, not so much character

2012 Muscadet Sur Lie ‘Les gras Moutons’ $16
This was more interesting for me. Definitely worth the difference.

**2010 Muscadet Château Thébaud-Clos des Morines $25
My WOTF. Much more interesting. Take me for a spin! Mathieu said this will soon have its own AOC.

2009 Muscadet “3” $20
This seemed a bit young, but with a bright future. IIRC Mathieu said the “3” meant it spent that many years “sur lie.”

Domaine Luneau-Papin:
2005 Muscadet Sur Lie “L” d’Or $33
Much lighter than the Pépières but with good balance. Overall, I prefer the Pep style. (See TN on the Luneau-Papins 2005 Pueri-Solis above.)

Domaine du Closel–Château des Vaults:
2007 Savennières “Clos du Papillon” $33
Has a slight edge, but very interesting. Medium-light body, nice fresh acidity.

Domaine François Pinon:
*2011 Vouvray “Silex Noir” $23
Nice flinty palate.

*2010 Vouvray Burt “Non–Dosé” $22
Yes, sparkling! Very nice, dry but smooth. Why pay for Champagne?

*2005 Vouvray Moelleux “Cuvée Botrytis” $45
Soft and sweet but very good. Interesting style, never tried it before.

Clemens Busch (Mosel):
2012 Grauen Schiefer
A mix from various vineyards. Not so great.

*2011 Riesling Pünderlicher Marienberg Grosses Gewachs $48
Interesting. Dry style. Very good, but maybe a bit pricey.

**2011 Riesling Pünderlicher Marienberg Grosses Gewachs Rothenpfad $55
Wow! Opens fruity, then a bit edgy. Tastes kept changing in the mouth. Young and not yet fully integrated, I think. Very long, slight bitterness. Really interesting, my WOTD. From the red schist parcel of this vineyard.

Kohler-Ruprecht:
2010 Annaberg Weissburgunder Spätlese Trocken $30
(Pinot Blanc). No notes, IIRC didn’t care for it.

2008 Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Kabinett Trocken $28
Edgy, acid, bright. Not bad!

2010 Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Spätlese Trocken $40
Smoother than the one above. Didn’t really grab me, though. Maybe my palate was getting saturated by now…

2008 Kallstadter Spätburgunder $22
(Pinot Noir)
Nice, but a bit too oaky (or smoky?) for me.

Domaine Baudry:
2011 Chinon “Le Clos Guillot” $33
RIch T recommended trying this. Unfortunately I am a bit Cab Franc phobic, don’t care for it unless it is well aged, which this isn’t. Yet.

(here I moved into the Rose Room)
Terres Dorées:
(none of them really grabbed me)
2012 Beaujolais Blanc Chardonnay $16
Pleasant.

2012 Côte de Brouilly $21
A bit young and tough.

2011 Fleurie $26
Smoother.

2012 FRV Cent Rosé $20
Sparkling! On the sweet side, but I like it.

Domaine Eric Texier:
*2011 Domaine du Pergaud St. Julien en Saint Albin Vieille Serine $37
Very nice indeed. Fairly smooth, interesting, should age well.
(by this point I was really feeling the palate overload)

Alain Coudert:
2012 “Clos de la Roilette” Fleurie $21
Good but needs a few years sleep.

Georges Descombes:
2012 Brouilly $24
OK, no cigar.

Desvignes:
*2011 Morgon “Côte du Py–Javernières” $30
From a prize parcel of Morgon. I like.

Mas Chimères:
Languedoc Terrasses du Larzac “Nuits Graves” $19
A CdR blend. I liked it.

Cascina:
2012 Tavijn Grignolino d’Asti $22
Don’t care for this. A strange flavor.

Guttarolo:
*2011 Primitivo del Colle “Anfora” $40
Strong and deep, but smooth and refined. Nice wine.

I love this Board! These are fantastic, user-friendly notes across the board. Really helpful on a few wines I’ve still been debating picking up. For example, I did not buy Guillot in '11. It’s the most elegant of the Baudry cuvées, and I like it, but its not really what I seek in Loire CF, but this year sounds more in my wheelhouse. Richard, I live the Raffault style for the exact reasons you do not. Your notes were great, as were the others!

Mildly digressing, we’ve opened both the 2005 L d’Or and Pepiere’s Briords a couple of times in the last three months, each very good in a distinct style. The Briords seems somewhat madeirized on opening, but then shows very pure and fine on nights 2 and 3. The L d’Or is more grainy-minerally and takes on weight with air time.

A shame if you missed the 2012 Briords, which is pretty great. I’m curious how the Clisson will turn out.

I would have loved to try the Briords, but it wasn’t in the line-up (I had the '09 a few years back and really liked it).

The '12 is exceptional. Find a bottle to try, if you can.

Just had the '12 Briords two nights ago. Beautiful version, followed by a 2012 Jo Landron Amphibolite last night…which is more delicate. I would encourage not selling the plain 2012 “sur lie” Pepiere bottling short, but the $6+ for the Briords is money well spent.

RT