United 1st class international wines

We live in interesting times.

I really dislike flying United, in any class.

That list of wines doesn’t seem very impressive.

The typical Air France lounge wine bar likely is better.

But on the bright side…I hope Dan brings up some awesome Argentine wines!

I tried one of the ones that Le Gay is involved with down there - can’t remember the name - but it was very rich, flavorful.

I obviously won’t mention names of things I already import and might import, but a few comments on what I learned in Argentina. Obviously you don’t get a comprehensive overview in 4 days, but I note the following:
[note: I like Argentina, the country, the culture, the people, the wines…ymm definitely v]

The economy sucks. Benefits from needed reforms have not yet hit. Inflation (now being accurately measured for the first time in almost a decade) is running wild. Export industries, relieved of counter-productive export taxes, selling in US$ or EUR, are not as badly hit, but things are not good even for them.

After a disastrous 2016 (both quality and quantity), they had a very big crop in 2017. Due to the short crops in Europe, sales were reasonable but not adequate. California’s above-average harvest did not help sales
2018 was another big crop. Sales are sluggish, especially as Europe had a very big crop and California above average yields.
2019 is looking like an even bigger crop. In brief, tanks are full, wallets are empty and prices are seriously negotiable. I am pondering, asking for samples for my team and getting ready for some serious bargaining. I hope to bring in some excellent wines at more than fair prices. That’s my job.

As far as United Airlines, when I started flying for business I lived in Fauquier County, Virginia. My local airport was Washington Dulles, which is a hub of United. So I became a Wholly Owned Subsidiary of United Airlines, and remain one to this day. Sure, I sometimes fly other airlines. IMO, airlines are fungible. I haven’t flown the Middle Eastern ones, because they don’t fly my routes. But United, Delta, American, Air France, Lufthansa, Jet Blue and Southwest all see me in their seats. Service and wine clearly vary between them. Food is inedible on all of them (I carry my own on board when I’m aloft long enough to want to eat). In theory, my million mile status on United gets me some courtesies, like the upgrade to 1st on this flight. This trip was just bad luck with the plane and worse luck that it was from an airport (Santiago) where United has one flight a day in and out and therefore skeleton staff. Still, the skeleton staff should have performed better.

Dan Kravitz

This [cheers.gif]

I asked the flight attendant on British Air what champagne they were serving, and she said Laurent Perrier. I was mildly disappointed; passable, but I was hoping for better. When I tried a glass, it was fantastic. I asked to see the bottle: Grand Siecle! I drank at least a bottle on each of my round trip flights.

Cheers,
Warren

2004 Haut Brion recently on Emirates DXB-MAN