Understanding the Producers of Volnay

Agree completely on 07, great vintage.

I agree.

People buying wine from vintages prior to 2010 should be aware that there were two estates at that time called Louis Boillot. TN: Louis Boillot 2011 Volnay 1er Les Angles - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers From prior discussions on this topic with Nathan, I would assume that he is describing the Louis Boillot that is the husband of Barthod in Chambolle, not the one who was a small producer in Volnay. The second one is now owned by Champy, which I believe calls the wines from the old Boillot properties the Domaine de la Chapelle.

Yes, it’s really a blessing to have William continue to share his informed insights on this board. I hope we don’t scare him off soon! [wow.gif]

I even learned a new term from him – a fortiori. But all you Monkton attorneys already knew that, right?

Howard, yes exactly, I’m referring to Ghislaine Barthod’s husband, Louis Boillot, who formed his domain in 2003 from the Lucien Boillot domain which continues under his brother. I have never had wines from the other Louis Boillot that you refer to.

• 1 regarding your comments to have William… [cheers.gif] flirtysmile

Was 2010 the last vintage from Louis Boillot? I just opened a 10 Grande Poisots tonight which is beautiful.

What a great response from folks a lot of very useful information. The dilemma now is what to do interms of a tasting. Do you pick one site (eg Champans) and a bunch of different producers, or or one producer and a bunch of differentsites (eg d’angerville)? I realize I’m not helping much here.

I think the one site a lot of producers use is caillerets

How about a label shot?

Never had Rossignol wines. Which of his wines woild you say are top notch that you have tasted?

Cheever and Caillerets are the best imo.

96F3AF41-FD44-4A04-A7A3-3CB4C575588B.jpeg

That the producer Nathan is mentioning.

This is the one that’s not married to Barthod? Or is?

So, whole bunch/cluster seems popular in Volnay. Which producers generally destem 100% and which ones generaly only use small percentages of stems?

Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Agreed (great info! just the kind of discussion I was hoping for). Of course both approaches to tastings are fun and informative, though I’m leaning towards trying to sample multiple producers to get a feel for style, and then zero in on whatever I like best. D’Angerville is double (or more) the prices of the others, but the price gap is not as huge as in other appellations. I’m still struggling whether to pay the premium.

Here’s the link to the old Volnay Appellation thread. There is some interesting discussion there.

Or without the distracting search highlights neener

Sorry.