Underground Cellar (wine seller/retailer) OUT OF BUSINESS

Expecting a mixed case today as well

2 Likes

Received shipping notification for a case ordered in March, but still haven’t received one for a case ordered in February.

Last Tuesday 04/23 I received the case 2 of 2, ordered on 02/17. Everything on perfect condition. I’m a happy camper :grinning:

2 Likes

Received shipping notification on one of three cases ordered on 4/18! That is a pretty quick turnaround.

2 Likes

Got the ‘18 Grenache, awaiting the ‘20

1 Like

Had one bottle (so far) corked, a 2017 Niro Montepulciano. Second bottle was fine, we’ll see about the rest. Anyone else experiencing same or similar issue?

Tried my first Scherrer vineyard cab last night. No notes, but it was very enjoyable, even at this young stage.

1 Like

I mean, corked wine happens. Not like that is within the control of UC. Some report higher incidence of TCA in Italian wines, though I think that is mostly historical.

I bought two cases myself. Have sampled one of each, both totally sound. Super happy with the la Ragnaie RdM I bought, as expected from this producer. It needs time though for sure. Serious rosso, better than a lot of lesser Brunellos. My other case was less successful. 2019 Tizziano Mazzoni Colline Novaresi Monteregio seemed like it would be right up my alley. Alto Piemonte nebbiolo from an excellent vintage, imported by Kermit Lynch. Unfortunately the bottle I tried drank very dillute. Perhaps it will flesh out a bit with time. On the upside, it almost seemed something that could be drank with a light chill in warmer weather. In any case, I certainly can’t complain for the price paid.

3 Likes

Anyone tasting their UC purchased wine recently? Any notes to share? I have not opened anything yet.

had this UC purchase last night and it was wonderful

2 Likes

I think you just saw one or more of the Skylark proprietors at HdR this past weekend (couple of somms from Boulevard and elsewhere).

-Al

1 Like

Thats the Skylark still available for $4.20?

2 Likes

Yup :wine_glass:. Going back in @MatMc?

1 Like

@Mel_Hill, what’s it taste like? That wine looks pretty dark from the picture. But yet the Skylark website said the 2018 is light like a Pinot.

Thanks!

Classic Grenache red fruits, leather and spice. It put on weight as it was open. Lot’s of upside for a 9 year old wine. I’m impressed!

just bought a case!

2 Likes

Tried the Waits-Mast Oppenlander 2017 Pinot Noir that I somehow decided to buy a case of at ~$10 a bottle with shipping.

Pretty darn good American Pinot. Felt a bit “hot” and best in smaller doses, but has a very nice balance between fruitiness and earthiness. Plenty of acidity too, should be interesting to see it age more.

That said, if I could do it over again, I’d probably get more cases of some of the non-US Rieslings instead.

1 Like

Just tried one of my bottles of 2017 Levo Soul3d Out Grenache. My note from CT:

Along the lines of what I expected. Pours a deep red verging on purple, with some bricking. Nose of spice + baking spice, dark fruit, stewed red fruit, liquorice. And of course the heat - u can pick up the 15.5%. Taste brings all of the same, with a wonderful smooth fruity flavor buttressed by appropriate tannins and acid. The heat is noticeable in the palate but less so than the nose. The baking spice helps mask some of the heat.

Overall, this is why you buy a levo wine. It is maybe not the best levo I have had, but delivers the power, flavor, and lingering finish that make the high abv worth it. A fun wine to show non wine drinkers - usually to their great enjoyment. 90/91. Ready to drink imho. I’d be afraid that keeping it too long will have the fruit fade and the alchohol will be more apparent.

2 Likes

One case delivered, two more on the way, leaving one outstanding case. I just looked today to see if there were anything more worth buying since the wines seem to be shipping and are in good shape.

1 Like

Mine our also finally showing up and appear solid. Don’t so much need anything that’s left but wish I had gone harder in late January!

2 Likes

Received shipping notice on last case (of 4) this morning…all 3 others arrived in perfect condition and tasting wonderful! These wines will be consumed while sitting in pantry over next 12-18 months–no more room in the cellar. Went back on site yesterday and loaded up 2 cases of mixed Grenache but couldn’t pull trigger. No more room! Will see if I can get through today without ordering. :sweat_smile: