Two Very Disappointing, $75 California Wines

Text, and pictures, always best. [wow.gif]

Brian me too, like many times. I know some people have super-palates that can blow through wines and make solid assessments, but I’m needy. I need the proper glass, pour size, temperature, ambiance, and time with the wine, hopefully with extra pours. That’s why I loved the tasing experience at Ovid, so much time with just four wines and as much as I wanted. Copain was like that as well.

This is good news, just think of your wife’s new found respect for your palate. Maybe.

Edited for clarity.

First good laugh of the day! Alfert thinks she spends all those hours playing tennis !

You need to inform here that one pays list price at the winery.

Me too! You can get Hanzell, Ridge, Mt. Eden and Stony Hill all day for under $75.

Wine is always better in California. What’s your point?

[quoteBrian Glas wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:58 pm
David Glasser wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 pm
Did she like it when she tasted it at the winery? I’m assuming these weren’t the wines that sat out in the sun on your porch.
I’ve had many that tasted better at the winery. Not sure if it was my mood or there is something more to it.
Brian me too, like many times. I know some people have super-palates that can blow through wines and make solid assessments, but I’m needy. I need the proper glass, pour size, temperature, ambiance, and time with the wine, hopefully with extra pours. That’s why I loved the tasing experience at Ovid, so much time with just four wines and as much as I wanted. Copain was like that as well.][/quote]
I wish they would pour a little more so you can make a more meaningful assessment of the wine.

Look on the bright side- it was just one bottle each! I bought in quantity once after a tasting room visit and it was not what I remembered. My wife and I ended up begrudgingly and slowly drinking each bottle before I learned about sunk costs.

Was Ryan Zepaltas your guide at Copain? I’ve been meaning to pay a visit since he took over as winemaker.

Ah, the never-mentioned tourist barrel.

[scratch.gif] What was the name of that $75 Zin? The suspense is killing me! [scratch.gif]

Don’t explain the joke, dammit!

Though I did get an additional LOL from that.

Very much enjoyed a couple of 1988 Lambert Bridge Merlots several years ago. Original price around $10. Times have changed.

RT

Only styles and prices.

Just popped another one, wife wanted to see if the first was a fluke. Sadly, it was not. This wine sucks. The Cab Franc.

This often happens, and as much in Europe and elsewhere as in California. You’re on vacation, you’re in a great mood, you’re well rested, you’re in a gorgeous place, the people serving it to you are treating you well and you like them and want to support them. The wine tastes glorious. Though it later turns out to be forgettable or worse on Tuesday night after a hard day at the office.

I think we’ve all experienced this a few times in our lives. And although it’s good to be aware of, and correct for, those strong biases, it’s also not always bad just to roll with them.

Just drink the old, cheap stuff…like me (double entendre).

Exactly!

The ‘Great Wine Inflation’ hit the area and this is one of the outcomes.

Ha, me at Ovid?

:wink: