Two under-the-radar 1982 Bordeaux

Tasted within the past week at my favorite Baltimore bistro:
1982 Haut Marbuzet, Saint-Estephe
The wine had a good fill and clean label. A fragrant, spicy nose led to a medium-bodied, concentrated, elegant wine with a supple texture and lengthy finish. No doubt 99% of the production was consumed within 10 years of bottling. To those who are lucky enough to still have some, you will be well rewarded.
1982 La Grave Trigant de Boisset, Pomerol
This 1982 was shamelessly promoted in The New York Times by William Sokolin as “better than Petrus”, no doubt because he apparently had an NYC exclusivity. Even so, the wine is seriously good. It has been in my cellar since I purchased it as a future at some ridiculously low price (not from Mr. Sokolin) in 1983. Dark ruby in color with an expressive nose of black fruits and spice box, on the palate it exhibited excellent depth, complexity, and length. Medium- to full-bodied, with plenty of life remaining, this wine will reward the few with the foresight to cellar a few bottles. As for me, I had no idea that I still had any when I went rooting around for an interesting lunch wine.
DrJay

The old La Grave wines could be very nice before the best vineyard holdings were incorporated into La Fleur Pétrus. The 1975 is lovely.

No experience re the 82 Haut M but thoroughly enjoyed a 6 pack of the 89, none left

Thanks for the flashback. I liked those older La Grave a Pomerols too.