Two Cranking Chassagne 1ers

Both quite brilliant.

2018 Lamy-Caillat Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets: Aromas of pure white peach, aniseed, fresh mint and flint. The palate is deep and unctuous, yet light on its feet. There’s great rocky detail and superb energy and balance. Length is imposing. Still very youthful but brilliant in every sense.

2015 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers: Has the generosity of the vintage, with ripe peach and brown spice notes. There’s plenty of Ramonet spearmint and the usual poise and elegance of this great maker. It is full and plump, with good minerally detail just below the flesh. It is drinking really well right now.

Lamy-Caillat is new to me. Care to elaborate?

had that Vergers a few weeks ago, with Ramonet menthol and lean citrus fruit. Loved it but the killer Ramonet is their fairly new Clos du Cailleret. I’m always up for Ramonet bottle or two down my gullet.

Thanks for the notes Jeremy. Out of curiosity, did you have these blind?

Really good wines Kent. Long elevage, superb attention to detail in the vineyards and cellars. William Kelley has been very positive of them for a while.

Greg, my mate Fraser Mckinley blinded me on the Lamy-Caillat and I was close to nailing it, although I thought 2017. I served him the Ramonet non-blind.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeremy!

Had the 2000 version of that Ramonet today and ir was in the zone. When they are on, they are so special.