TWEC (TM) Visits Le Select Bistro in Toronto

Foodies,

Fellow TWEC ™ members Jay Shampur, Michael Wright and yours truly gathered together at Le Select Bistro, a long standing Toronto staple dedicated to classic French bistro dishes that’s been around since 1977. They are very well known for their 1,000 bottle wine list which rivals that of another favorite haunt of ours, Opus.

As we took advantage of the corkage policy this evening (don’t worry, we’ll get to that wine list in due time during future visits… ), my notes are focused on food. You can check a note I did post in Wine Talk on the fabulous Louis Roederer 2014 Vintage Champagne Brut I brought, though. On to the food:

For starters, we shared a dozen PEI Malpeque oysters to go with the Champagne. As I posted in my wine note, they were such a good match with each other that we could easily have scarfed down 2 or 3 or even 4 more dozen oysters with the bottle and been completely happy.

For appetizers, Michael had the classic Soupe à L’oignon Gratinée (French Onion Soup). Onions long simmered in calvados and beef broth were topped with a toasted bread crouton and a heaping mound of grated fresh gruyère cheese.

I had the classic Salade Niçoise of mesclun greens topped with seared tuna slices, soft boiled egg, baby potatoes, French green beans, black olives, tomato, and dressed with chervil white wine vinaigrette.

Jay headed straight for the mains and had the Omelette, a classic French omelette with fine herbs and a salade verte on the side.

Michael and I both joined him with the Epaule d’Agneau, a braised lamb shoulder sitting on a bed of perfectly cooked lentils, red wine jus and herbs.

For dessert, I had the classic Mousse au Chocolat, a chocolate mousse flavored with Grand Marnier and topped with a dollop of chantilly cream.

Jay had the Crème Brûlée which was topped by a gorgeously assembled gaufrette decorated with berries and chantilly cream.

Both Jay and Michael are already well-acquainted with Le Select Bistro, but this was personally my first time there and I was extremely impressed with the quality of the service and the amazingly delicious food. I am very much looking forward to returning.

:drooling_face:. Looks incredible

1 Like

Tasted even better! :yum: