Trying to Love Wines You Don’t Like

While I’ll generally try Chateauneuf or Grenache, it’s more on the order of “maybe this will be an exception” rather than trying to love it.

For that I’ll say Rhys Alpine Pinots. As much as I love every other pinot vineyard from them I’ve never warmed up to the Alpine. Had one at a recent Leo’s blind dinner and I misidentified it as an overly modern CA Pinot - I actually guessed Marcassin or Martinelli.

Who else makes 100% Grenache in Chateauneuf?

+1
With occasional exceptions from the Loire, e.g. Dagenau, Jolivet or some of the better Bourgeoisie.

I can’t love a wine I don’t like . I can’t drink a wine I don’t like . I can drink a wine that’s ok.

Janasse Chaupin
Domaine la Barroche Pure
Chapoutier Barbe Rac
Chapoutier Croix de Bois
Domaine de la Mordoree Plume du Peintre
Clos St. Jean Sanctus Sanctorum
Domaine de Marcoux VV
Pierre Usseglio Cuvee Mon Aieul (most vintages)

Pegau, Janasse VV, Clos de Papes are like 85%+

I keep trying to understand what the hell Alfert finds in Loire reds.

Whilst I agree there is little point chasing a style you’ve had little luck with, I suppose those it’s difficult to avoid, but on the whole don’t excite - Champagne with more disappointments than successes is my first thought. Certainly red Burgundy is an area where I can’t see the excitement others do, though a couple of 1966 Grands Echezeaux from a speculative auction bid were stunning 5 years ago, along with a 1969 Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes likewise. I’ve never been excited by a young red burg - enjoyed a few but never so I’d think about a re-purchase.

Twisting the question a little, there are a couple of examples where early experiences were disappointing, but they weren’t written off, and I found some I liked:
Piemontese Barbera, where in time I started to appreciate the big/oaked style, then later found some lovely subtle/no oak styles I really enjoyed.
Langhe Nebbiolo / Nebbiolo d’Alba where the earlier ones I tried showed nothing that I like in the grape, or were unbalanced, like the stuff that clearly wasn’t good enough for a more prestigious label. About 6-7 years ago it seemed to turn, and I find many more I enjoy now and it’s been a while since any disappointments.

Why bother? Lots more wine that rewards less effort.

What Alfert said. But I’ll revise above to broaden to Grenache-dominated. I consider Garnacha to be a nice blending grape for certain Tempranillo-dominated Riojas.

Allot of Jura wines and Petillant Naturel.

What’s the range of Riojas tried and how old? And by the way I’m not a huge La Rioja Alta fan either. I could probably add 904 and 890 to my list here. I keep trying to like them but nope. Other traditional Rioja however (not too many left in terms of new release but lots of old bottles around), love. Unfortunately except for splurge bottles, I’m priced out of old LdH GR, old Monté Real and Vina Real GR, etc.

I feel like it is my patriotic duty to like Semillon, particularly from the Hunter Valley, but I have never quite got it. I don’t hate them, but I have never been wowed either. It might just be that I need to try a few with some serious bottle age.

Oh boy this!!!

+1.

I’ve tasted broadly enough that I can’t think of any notable category that there aren’t exceptions. There are certainly grape varieties and styles that have a low battling average for me (ie. Grenache). There are wines like CA PN where my own circumstance provides a selection bias, where it would be easy to forget the sea of shit I’d have to wade through trying to find good ones off a store shelf.

Often it’s wine making choices that are at the root of my like/don’t like, but it certainly can be grape variety. particular clone, site, etc. In the last several years CA Viognier has transformed from that over-the-top floral nose and flabby body to many focused and brilliant takes, with enough nose and enough acidic structure, as well as site expression.

As far as trying to love a wine, why bother? There are so many paths to explore, why pursue one that isn’t rewarding you? Sure, keep tasting when the opportunity is offered, but there are plenty of other wine types to invest time and money in.

I figured you’d say Dauvissat. Your patience dealing with me and my bottles of funky Chablis always puts a smile on my face!

Rhones - Northern and Southern, red and white (interestingly, however, I love Bandol)
Chianti
Domestic Pinot Noir
Full throttle, high alcohol wines made in a modern style (not exactly telling the truth here, I don’t even try with these)

Because tastes can change and/or one can find wines that make you change your mind about a region. For me, ten years ago or so, I would have put Champagne on the list of wines I don’t like. Now, I love Champagne. The big difference - I have started finding producers whose wines I like (quite a number in fact and more seemingly everyday). I think I was drinking the wrong Champagnes and now that I have found what I like I love the wines.

+1. No different than food,
books, or anything else.

All we are saying, is give pinots a chance! grouphug