Trip to Sonoma (and Napa) this October - Need Value Options

On the way from Bodega to Sebastopol, stop by Wild Flour Bakery. The line moves fast. The Egyptian bread is like the best sticky bun you’ll ever eat.

2 Likes

Guilty pleasure. Screamin Mimis ice cream in Sebastopol. Maybe my favorite ever and i eat a lot of ice cream

2 Likes

Behrens Family Winery on Spring Mountain is one of my favorites. Years ago, they would pour about a dozen different wines from all their different labels. It’s been a few years since I was there last and their tasting room was an old RV, but I’d definitely look into a tasting if I were in the area. Relic and Drinkward Peschon are part of their family lines. Not sure if they are included, or separate anymore…

Smith-Madrone is also a fun place to visit. No fee’s the last time we visited. Tasting room was very informai, in their barn, table was a used wine barrel…

Trespass is another favorite. I don’t recall ever paying a tasting fee, but we usually buy wine when we visit. Donny has a tasting room now, and when I was there last, his tasting room was a picnic table in the vineyard.

Not far from Trespass is Lewelling. Only two wines to taste, but always a great time.

1 Like

Dusty, maybe share a list of the wineries you’ve already got appointments with and the times so we can help you keep your visits together? I usually try to taste wines in an AVA per day. It keeps my appointments close and if you leave room in each day for a suggestion from a place you’re visiting and have a good time.

1 Like

I will do that as soon as I actually start getting stuff on paper. I booked flight, AirBnB, and car, but really most wineries don’t even want you to book this far out; many of the online systems only go out to August right now. The harvest fair grand tasting tickets don’t go on sale until August 1st. We will certainly try to stay ‘regional’ on any given day, with one coast day, one Napa day, maybe one Anderson Valley day TBD, and several Sonoma days to include RRV, Dry Creek, Alexander Valley, Sonoma Mountain, etc.

On previous trips, we always had the mentality of booking one reservation early in the day and asking that crew where they would go in that neighborhood. I hope some of that is still feasible with many places wanting reservations because it allows the freedom to do more or less in the day, stop anywhere for any period of time for lunch, etc.

PM me about Anderson Valley if you want a bunch too much info!

Porter creek is my favorite stop in Sonoma, though they are doing it by appointment now. They waive fees with purchase and:or if you’re a nice person!

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with food trucks in California!

It is a shame everything has gotten so expensive up north. The weather will still be nice that time of year, perhaps you could get some food to go and eat it outside at a park or winery?

FWIW, we have family in Napa and often take a detour on the drive up to Sonoma just to eat at one of the taco trucks. Way better than most of the overpriced disneyland bistros in the valley and much more scenic drive :wink:

This is in fact the best answer, go to Anderson Valley instead! More relaxed vibe, beautiful nature, and if you look well some very tasty pinot. I went to Napa this February and while we had a good time, the restaurants were not firing on all cylinders (who doesn’t want to pay $300 for a dinner when you’re ignored by the waiter for an entire hour with no food on the table?) and everything felt overpriced in general. Napa isn’t for the wine nerds, it’s for the point chasers, casual tourists or ultra wealthy. Sure you’ll taste a nice cab and want to buy it, then realize it’s +$150 and you’ll only buy one bottle at best. Why bother? I’d focus most of your trip on Sonoma. There is a tremendous thread sticky on just Sonoma.

1 Like

Tulocay.

Tulocay is a great recommendation. There is nothing like it.

We visited Napa and Sonoma in January 2020, and had fantastic tastings in St. Helena with Leah Smith (Myriad) and Erin Di Costanzo. We also enjoyed Ryme in Sonoma.

1 Like

Hey all! Just to clarify a bit as I do a bit of direction at Idlewild. Jolie-Laide is a tenant and a client, so my staff handles the hospitality for Scott and Jenny since they are busy in vineyards and the winery, but it is not a co-op tasting room and the experiences are entirely unique and do not overlap, and must be booked separately.

1 Like

Update!

Planning is going swimmingly. We have tickets to Healdsburg Crush as well as the Brunch/Tasting Panel beforehand at The Matheson AND the Sonoma County Harvest Fair grand tasting. We have booked tastings at Williams-Selyem, Rochioli, Ridge, Rafinelli, Buena Vista, Storybook Mountain, School House, Bedrock. We are also on a waitlist for a tasting at Occidental and I’m looking at booking Corison. It will be a packed trip for sure, but we are leaving a little free-wheeling time as well. Really it is like 0.01% of wineries that don’t require reservations, and some of the tasting fees are so high it feels like they are trying to keep people away.

I know they’re having a huge heat wave starting up right now, so we’re sending good vibes.

Bedrock is amazing and that is always our first stop when we are there. Not as many value options in Napa, but Vincent Arroyo is great with low tasting fees and a small family atmosphere.

In Sonoma, I would head to Dry Creek Valley. My favorites are Ridge Lytton Springs, Kokomo, Quivira (Rose and Sauvignon Blanc), Pedroncelli, and Frick.

1 Like

You have a great list put together. If you can make it to Corison, I highly recommend it. Some of the best Cabernet in Napa, and stylistically different from most of the valley. It’s also a good value compared to most of what you’ll find in napa, if you can consider $100-120 a good value (I do, but realize that sounds a bit ridiculous).

Definitely keep Ridge on your list. You can also add a Monte Bello tasting to your your at LS for $25. I did this in June and it was well worth it. The 2012 Monte Bello was a wine I will not forget anytime soon.

1 Like

Dusty,
If you are still going to make it to Calistoga (you had mentioned Montelena in a prior post), I highly 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) the recommendation of Vincent Arroyo. I know there is a sister operation across the street–you can make it a 2-fer. Extremely good qpr wines, and a great, friendly family.

2 Likes

We were at Ridge at Lytton Springs two weeks ago and they were pouring the 2013 Monte Bello for $40. A steep price for a pour but well worth it. One of the best Monte Bello’s that I have tried.