Trip to burgundy--help needed

You can change it. But I think an admin has to help.
I “reported” this post just now to notify an admin u need some help! Cheers and welcome!

Love to cook in Burgundy! Such fantastic ingredients. If you are cooking enthusiasts, I recommend renting a house. But then I love going to the market and even the grocery store in France – other may find that a waste of valuable vacation time.

Agree with Mel that May is a great time to visit, April is also nice, depending on how well the group tolerates cooler weather – it suits us just fine, but others may find it on the cool side for being outdoors (and you’ll want to walk some vineyards, at a minimum – bicycle rental also highly recommended).

Winery appts should be a bit easier to come by in April as well, though connections trump all else in that regard (outside of harvest season).

Has anyone visited Olivier Leflaive. Le Bistro d’Olivier – Olivier Leflaive Hôtel Restaurant My recollection is that they used to do wine lunches or something that one pays for. Never been there, but it might be a place for the OP to research.

I believe that Bill Nanson, who posts regularly here and publishes the Burgundy Report, provides guided tours. Bill is a terrific guy, very knowledgeable and well connected in Burgundy and I highly recommend that you contact him. Perhaps he will see this post and will respond.

1 Like

Hi
I have been to Burgundy many different times of year and my strong preference is April/May.
In February and early March sunset is between 5:30 and 6:00 in late April into mid may it can be light up until 9:30 ( in the Mosel in May it’s light until around 10:00, awesome).
Not surprisingly the cellar temps don’t vary that much at all even in August if you don’t dress warmly you will be chilly. the air temps in April/ May are much more pleasant than late winter.

We have been many times. Beautiful and inspiring. If you want to search for places to stay off of Google, the French find their house rentals on the “Gîtes de France” website. There’s an app also, Gîtes et Chambres D’hôtes” As for Château’s, they may not be very close and keep in mind that they are a favorite for weddings and book very far in advance… (my last visit was at a wedding/chateau and we were too far for Burgundy in my opinion…).

Another advantage to Spring weather is that most village houses and chateaus in France do not have air conditioning (keep in mind that the chateau sleeping quarters will be on the top two floors, the majority of which were old servants’ quarters)…

Wine tasting in Burgundy is actually quite difficult, with most of the famed domaines not open to the public. This actually takes quite a bit of groundwork in advance.

Heading to this location in June of 2022, Cuisery

I’ve been in late March and loved it, but many of the winemakers are already in the fields. Gites de France is a good reference for renting homes.
There is this place run by a couple who have exported Burgundy for 30 years, Domaine de Cromey: Your Hosts - Luxury Burgundy Food and Wine Estate. I went to college with one of the proprietors, though we are not buddies, nor have I ever been there. Pictures look good. As others have said, lots of good threads here, also on fb burgundy groups (burgundy lovers), where some of the guides post.
Good luck! (It sounds like you’re aiming for a memorable time.)

I was going to post the same but Maureen beat me to it. Here is the link, in the event that you haven’t found it yet.

My thanks to Maureen and Nick.
Just a quick note - the impossible can sometimes be possible but try to avoid harvest time unless you’re completely happy to walk in off the street, say Hi, watch for 10 minutes then leave - though you can get to see a lot of domaines this way :wink:
This year it looks like the whites should be underway around 15th September +/- a few days the reds up to 1-2 weeks later depending on how far north, south or low or high the vines are… which is about 1 week ahead of what happened in 2016 and around three weeks later than last year… The following 3-4 weeks after the grapes are all in are still very busy in the cuveries…

1 Like

SteveC and I were in Burgundy for 1.5 weeks starting March 5th 2020, which was perfect. Except that COVID border closings cut short our stay by a couple of days. A good time to visit wineries since they are not too busy to talk to you. Depending on who you want to visit (for the big names it pays to have connections), start contacting them in mid-October for appointments so the harvest is done.

The monster Grand Jours de Bourgogne tastings also occurs in March, which we got invited to attend, but then it was canceled because of COVID. I’d rather visit individual wineries anyway.

Highly recommend renting “La Maison des Belles Filles” (The House of Beautiful Girls!), an 3-bedroom converted old winery building owned by Dubreuil-Fontaine (who are just down the street and make some excellent wines and know all the ins and outs of shipping wines home), in the tiny village of Pernand-Vergelesses, right between the north and south, so easy to get everywhere on your day trips. The hill of Corton is right behind you and vines of Corton-Charlemagne literally steps from your front door (there is a Michelin-starred French-Japanese restauranct, Le Charlemagne, 5 minutes walk away, which is a must do).

I think we’ll stay in Beaune next time, but I would definitely go back.