Traditional Hermitage recomendations

Ned -

The OP was looking for traditional producers. While I know Leve dislikes the term “modern” - many of these producers are in fact that, and may not appeal to a more traditional palate. I have added in red my personal thoughts to that list.

Given pricing, I’m really only buying Faurie these days, but candidly, prefer Cornas and Côte Rotie anyway.

Well, it’s clear Ned did not read the original post, unless of course, a number of Chateauneuf producers have packed up and moved shop to Hermitage.

I agree with your assessment, Robert. I’ve also found Ferraton, Colombier and Perrin to be modern leaning as well.

[snort.gif]

I see what you did there [welldone.gif]

Got lotsa dough? If you do, then your itch can be scratched any ole time you want. If notsomuch, then look elsewhere. Hermitage really does not have many producers, as the applelation is fairly small. The others have chimed in with what you need to know. Now all you need do is warm up those charge cards!

What should I do with your testicle … ? [scratch.gif]

While the Cathelin is very rare and expensive it is usually not a bit “better” - just different …

I do find it foolish to disquality outstanding producers with “PASS” …
although no traditional producers both Chapoutier and Guigal make really fine Hermitage …

Remizieres is an excellent but modern producer,
Vallouit made fine wines in the 80ies (less fine after 1995), but has been sold …
Yann Chave is traditional, but not on top level,
Colombier is quite traditional, the wines are elegant, but a bit light -
I personally like Marc Sorrel a lot …
and I would not forget the Cooperative Caves de Tain … in top-vintages it can be a good (not outstanding) Hermitage …

For anyone who knows Marc Sorrel: how do the base Hermotages compare to Greal and Vignon?

For anyone who knows Marc Sorrel: how do the base Hermotages compare to Greal and Vignon?

The basic Hermitage of Marc Sorrel is from younger vines from Greffieux and other vineyards, not from Meal, the grapes are usually destemmed and the wine remains slightly shorter in old oak barrels. It is somewhat softer, less intense, earlier accessable than Le Greal, but fine in good vintages.

Le Vignon on the other hand is from Jean-Michel Sorrel (JMB Sorrel), brother of Marc and a totally different producer. It is both white and red - but I´ve never tasted it.

BTW: Marc Sorrel´s white Les Rocules can be really outstanding … very minerally driven …

I found Belle too oaked. Pass.

I like Sorrell. Faurie can be nice

Chave is expensive. It depends whether it makes your qpr.

I echo the other sentiments. There is Chave and then everything else. Chave is on my desert island

Just adding a word of caution on the Chaves.

Any Hermitage-pros on here have any experience of Philippe et Vincent Jaboulet?
Any tips on style and quality would be welcome!

Chave
Marc Sorrel

Pass on Chapoutier ???
Opinions are like…!

I would say ;https:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLry6Cn_D4

I’m with Alfert. Chapoutier sucks. Could happily live the rest of my life without them.

Chave though… they taste more like Chave to me than Hermitage. Whatever that means.

I´ve yet to taste any wine by them. Philippe was the winemaker at Paul Jaboulet Ainé - and the quality there was less than stunning from 1998 onwards - 1999 very disapointing (but 2001 was very good and 2003 outstanding if typical for the vintage) …

I guess you don´t apprechiate Hermitage at all … good if you can live without Chapoutier … it is obvious that you don´t like it - but “sucks” means that they are making crap - which is a ridiculous and biased WRONG statement!

I´ve had many fine, even great bottles from Chapoutier, better than most other producers with the exception of 2 or 3 …

+1

Disagree. The single vineyard Hermitages are too expensive and not good enough for their price. But I think the Hermitage La Sizeranne is a wonderful Hermitage that ages extremely well and is very typical for Hermitage if it is drunk properly aged (which means 15 or more years). And its price is great at around 40 Euros.