"traditional" California wines

Speaking of traditions…

I have no idea what Cuvaison’s wines are like today, but here’s a blast from the past that I spotted in Chambers St.'s close-out bin today – a '75 Cuvaison Napa zinfandel. Note the ABV: 12.3! That really was another era!
Cuvaison - IMG_3471.jpg

Wasn t Philip Togni the winemaker then??
Those wines were quite tannic and are supposed to be sensational now.
The winery left its Calistoga home for Carneros some time ago and is making a Brandlin Cabernet with grapes grown on MT Veeder…pretty tasty stuff as I recall.

Hmm. And I passed on it (mid/low shoulder fill). Don’t know anything about the winery.

Run back, John. I would have grabbed that immediately.

To the question, I don’t buy many Cabs, and mostly backfill, but it would be:

Dunn
Dominus
Togni
Renaissance
Ridge, but less and less given the increase in new American oak that I have perceived

Robert Mondavi Reserve from the 90’s

My wife and I have 80s birth years and I have been looking at some 86 Mondavis to open next year on birthdays. the prices just kill compared to something like Montelena or Ridge

I think you are correct (as usual :wink: ) Mel.

↓↓This article↓↓ says he was with Cuvaison from ~1974 until 1982. For a long time, the Zin was only available at the winery.

Houston Chronicle
“Cuvaison at Right Place, Right Time”
by Michael Lonsford
March 28, 2001

I can’t read the text, but I see that Frank Prial was the author of this 1990 [u]NYT[/u] article on Togni.

Matt: the Mondavi res cabs from 1984-94 were terrific…have fond memories of all of them, ditto Dominus through 94. still have a few Domini left from that era …Also enjoyed the Beringer PR’s and Knights Valley cabs from that era…Rafanelli cabs also worth a look…

I believe the title of your thread is misleading. “Traditional” California Cabernet’s and Bordeaux Blends, IMHO California wines have a sweeter, more fruit forward palate. When I think of traditional California Cabernet’s and Bordeuax Blends I am immediately drawn to Pritchard Hill. Not that there aren’t great examples form elsewhere, just my favorite. If you are asking who in California makes wine in a Bordeuax or old world style I would agree with many of the producers already listed. However, I did not see Chateau Montelena listed, after all in 1976 they only helped put Napa on the wine world map.

i was debating the best way to word it. thats why i went with the quotation marks as a compromise haha

I think California traditional’ reminds me of what somebody said to me about baseball players: you always think the ones who are great when you are ten or twelve are the greatest.
California traditional kinda means whatever you encountered when you started to get interested in wine in a serious way. All the changes since are really bad and these people just don t know what they are drinking, even if they seem to be having a good time.

I haven’t found any “traditional” Cali wines based on my experiences of Cali Cabs from 1964 to 1990, with a few exceptions.
Dunn has changed winemakers and is moving towards the modern expectations of Cali Cabs by today’s main stream drinkers but still somewhat restrained and age-able.
Gibbs hasn’t been mentioned so far. Gibbs is primarily a grower, making most of their income is selling grapes to the majors. The kids decided they wanted to make some wines like they used to get. They do moderate amounts of Chard, Cab Franc, Merlot, Pinot Noir, red blend and Cab, all reasonably priced and built retro with lower ABV. They make a reserve Cab bottling that is a little more “new world” but still would be panned by Parker because it’s not unctuous.

[welldone.gif]

You probably should read the thread more carefully.

When I was a kid (and some of these were before I was 10-12 years old), we had Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Koufax, Ford, Gibson, Marechal, Palmer, etc., etc., etc. They were the greatest. [cheers.gif]

LOL. Post 3. And post 6. And post 13. And 16 and 26.

So, yeah.

Not sure what we mean by “traditional” California wine. Last night I drank a Petite from Napa ('15 Carlisle Palisades) and a Mataro from Amador (Dirty & Rowdy '16 Shake Ridge). They couldn’t have been more different, or more proudly “Californian.”

Matt,
The Best Buy on traditional Cali Cab and Bordeaux blends with plenty of age would be Renaissance Winery, ordering direct from the winery. For recent releases, the best qpr for my money would be Togni Tanbark Hill, Ridge’s Cab Estate, Mount Eden, Mayacamas and Laurel Glen.

Chris

Tons of great suggestions. My favorites are: Monte Bello, Dunn Howell Mountain, Montelena Estate, Heitz Martha’s Vineyard, older Mayacamas, Togni and Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard (and a relative bargain).

Ooohh. Never heard of that winery before.
I may need to leave my Bordeaux Box to buy some mature CA Cabs and Blends from them.