Toronto Restaurants

Earmarking this thread for my trip in Decmember – thank you all for the great recommendations. Super excited for my first trip to Toronto.

It seems like most of the places mentioned have survived COVID. Any new spots that locals would recommend, especially for less formal (but top notch) food and bev?

Brothers closed, but the same team plus some additional people opened Twenty Victoria. It’s the hot ticket in town right now. I’ve been trying to get a reservation, but haven’t lucked out yet. Reservations by phone only, and generally they’ve been releasing them in blocks a month out. Worth calling and leaving a message to see if you can get a table. It’ll be a more formal experience.

The food at Est (not Gare de l’Est) is very good. I suggest bringing wine - $30 corkage.

Richmond Station is as good or better than it’s ever been. Service included, tasting menu optional, corkage $40 (again, service included), if you’re so inclined.

Also closed that were mentioned: Dandylion, Le Select Bistro, Cava, Chabrol, Montecito.

I choose not to dine at any of the King Street Food Company restaurants (Buca in all its iterations, Jacobs, etc) due to how they’ve screwed over so many suppliers and employees. Anyone looking for more information can read the Toronto Life article, if you aren’t already aware of these issues.

Core has changed ownership and concepts.

Other restaurants of interest that are pretty easy going but banging out some good food:

Le Phenix - corkage $30, good cocktails also, sometimes some interesting things on the list
Pompette
Dreyfus
Bar Piquette (more snacks and wine bar, lots of natural/low-intervention stuff)

1 Like

This is great. Thank you!!

Your options that mention corkage have me wondering: what are your favorite bottle shops in town?

You’re welcome.

I generally don’t buy from bottle shops, as they are marking up on top of the agent’s licensee prices (no wholesale here). I’d rather just buy from the agent directly, and if I don’t want full cases, I’ll split with friends. That said, I would buy stuff periodically from Sips on Richmond when Heather was running a bottle shop out of Grand Cru Deli.

What about you?

Thanks for the resto update, Jay—and by-the-by, hope you have been doing well and keeping safe and healthy.

Yes, the pandemic purge has hit pretty hard. Yes, heard about the Buca chain and Jacob–I won’t be eating there again (and they may also be closed now?). Glad to hear you remain happy with Richmond Station–I was there for a decent lunch but have never given them their fair chance for a dinner experience…I should correct that sometime soon.

Jay S. is super-high on Sash on Yonge street—I hope to get there with him in the next month or two to see for myself. Heard some buzz about Pompette. Forgot to mention Little Sister (hopefully they’re still up and running) which has been really good Indonesian tapas.

If your taste is for Ethiopian, Wazema is out of the way but quite good (again, haven’t checked to see if they’re still alive).