???

You guys gotta go easier on Jay. He lives in New York, so doesn’t really get to see much actual football. The Pro Bowl is relatively more noteworthy in New York that it is in most other places.

What about the Playoffs? oh wait… :wink: [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Jay Hack is a “method in madness” archetype!

Anybody isn’t plural, it’s singular.

Isn’t the real problem here that Todd was taking a short cut in his sentence structure?

“Does anybody watch the Pro Bowl?” would be as obviously correct as “Does he watch the Pro Bowl?”

“He watches the Pro Bowl?” is a bit awkward and without the ? would imply a statement of fact but the formulation is not uncommon especially if spoken with a Jewish accent and a slightly disdainful inflection. While I’ve never heard heard or seen it used with anybody before this I am willing to accept it on those grounds.

Anybody objects?

I think his question is rhetorical, as in, what’s the point of watching the Pro Bowl?

[rofl.gif]

Isn’t the real problem here that Todd was taking a short cut in his sentence structure?

Exactly. Todd’s subject (anybody, singular) and verb (watches, correct third person present perfect form) agree. It may sounds awkward depending on which missing words we assume.

“Does anybody watch” contains “watch” because the third person present tense ending modifies the auxiliary verb (does) rather than the main verb.

“Like, anybody watches the Pro Bowl” sounds perfectly fine.

As far as everybody, it’s also singular (pronouns ending in -one or -body are singular), as in “Everybody watches”.

So, the fault was not in Todd’s construction but in ourselves.

-Al

champagne.gif

I’ve always thought of Todd as a star.

My watches say it is time to go home.

Ah, so ‘my’ is singular.

I’m going with: As if anybody watches the Pro Bowl.

Don’t look at me. I don’t watch. We don’t watch. Camping World Stadium in Orlando. Not even interested in who shows up. A weekend off from football to anticipate the Big Game.

Go Pack Go!

cheesehead

If he watches the Pro Bowl, I guarantee you he already has a VCR. Probably 4 or 5 to play those VHS tapes around the house…

very funny)))))))))))))))))))))

Get this thread outta by way! :stuck_out_tongue:

Bump. Hey, it seemed the Berserker thing to do. Besides, I haven’t recovered from last night.
Riesling.jpg
That’s Dentice behind the wine with Herr Selbach of Selbach Oster grinning at you.