Top US Syrahs

Edmunds St. John

The ownership transitions matter less than the fact that Bob Lindquist is now gone. Itā€™s probably not Qupe anymore.

My faves include:

Arnot-Roberts (surprised I didnā€™t see others list this one)
Rhys
Arcadian
Alban
Lillian

Cheers,

Bill

All in on Rhys, Arcadian, Bedrock, Lagier-Meredith, & Pax.

Same of the names listed make wines that are too big for my tastes (e.g. Alban). I like what I have had from Ramey so far, but itā€™s much too limited a sample size.

Arnot-Roberts would have made my list, but itā€™s wine specific. Some I really like (e.g. Griffinā€™s Lair, Clary Ranch), while other bottlings leave me cold.

One winery that likely does not have significant exposure to more in the community is Enfield Wine Co. John Lockwood is making wonderful Syrah.

Alban
Jaffursā€™ Bien Nacido and Upslope
Bedrock Griffinā€™s Lair

Myriad
Quivet
Lagier-Meredith
Apsara
Carlisle

ESJ
Lagier Meredith
Rhys
Qupe

85% of my CA Syrah.
Also like Copain, Arnot_Roberts, Rhys

Agreed! Do not sleep on Johnā€™s Enfield Syrahs. The recent La Femme Sauvage release using carbonic is unique and the Haynes Vineyard syrah is great.

Alban
Andremily
SQN
K Vintners
Cayuse
Myriad

Yup, Melā€¦Iā€™m here. Most of my favorites have been mentioned. Certainly Qupe is right at the top of my list. The current Qupes are all made by Bob.
But weā€™ll see what happens going forward. Itā€™ll be interesting if they can source from all the same vnyds that Bob used to source from.
Certainly not Sawyer-Lindquist, though.
As for Alban & SQNā€¦those are huge wines that wow you w/ their power & extract. But they just never seem to develop the coplexity & nuance
that a Qupe or an EdStJohn routinely do.
I tend to like very cold-climate Syrahs: StoloFamily, Delmore, Peay, McLauren, Qupe, Lagier-Meredith, etc.
But, then, what do I know?? Iā€™ve only followed Calif Syrah from the very startā€¦the Phelps '73!! [snort.gif]
Tom

Edmunds St. John
Rhys
Arcadian
Scherrer

I would have said Qupe and Copain but with both winemakers goneā€¦

How the hell did I not mention ESJ?!?

OP asked what are ā€œyourā€ top 5 Syrahs.

Iā€™ve never had a Peay so it canā€™t scratch my top 5 list. Iā€™ve had a lot of other great Syrahs, not on my list, one time. Unless I can repeat a great tatsing experience I canā€™t put something at the top of my list as many wine experiences can be one offs for my palate and donā€™t show the same next go-round.

I was concerned. Hope you are feeling okay [cheers.gif] [wink.gif]

Long day yesterday at the Theise portfolio tasting, so I am a bit tired. :wink:

I buy and enjoy Sandlands, Arno-Roberts, Rhys, Bedrock, Anthill Farms and Carlisle syrahsā€¦but I admit my favorite domestic Syrah based wines are the cab/syrah blends from K Vintners and Lā€™Aventure.

Well, Jayā€¦you can instead say Lindquist Family Vintnersā€¦though nobodyā€™s had one yet.
Tom

Also like Acorn from Healdsburg

Like many others here, I love Alban, but no idea what it becomes in the long run.

For the $ Stolpman is terrific.

But, like pinot noir, IMHO syrah is a grape in which even the best American versions cannot compare with the greatest French counterparts.