Top domastic Riesling producers?

+1 on Brooks - really like their Rieslings, which are also very good QPRs IMHO.

The best Riesling that I’ve had from California was a sublime 1973 from Ridge a few years ago, which I won as part of a mixed lot at an auction, having no expectation that it would have anything left to offer.

1 Like

Desire Lines
Paetra
Bedrock

Have a variety from BD22 to try this summer.

1 Like

Claiborne & Churchill in the Edna Valley makes good, reasonably priced ones. Worth a visit if you’re ever tasting in Edna Valley.

smith-madrone

Domestic. Depends on where your home is

Ser makes a great one from the Wirz vineyard. So does Craig Haarmeyer. Love the Desire Lines from Cole Ranch. Another Riesling from Cole Ranch I’ve heard great things about, is the Rootdown Cellars R2 which is made by the actual owner of the Cole Ranch. Stirm as mentioned. I make an atypical Riesling from Curtis Vineyard - barrel fermented and a little more tropical. People either hate it or love it.

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks! So many suggestions, I greatly appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge! Looks like I’ll be busy over the summer.

While there is plenty of good Riesling made in Washington State, it’s hard to find anything to get excited about with one notable exception. Devium makes one from Lewis Peak vineyard which apparently is pretty high in elevation. It’s a really lively and bright rendition that I think just may age well and well worth seeking an allocation.

I’ll also second the recommendation for Claiborne & Churchill who have made some really good Alsatian whites.

I’ve been going up to the Finger Lakes at least 1-2x per year for the last several years and definitely agree with the above, especially Kemmeter and Forge. Kemmeter’s SanSan line in particular is one of my absolute favorites… the 2020 vintage inspired me to take a deep dive into German (and especially Mosel) riesling over the past 6+ months. I’ll actually be heading over to the Mosel with a brief stop in the Rheingau less than a week from now! I think some others mentioned Red Tail Ridge and Weiss, which are also very good. One other producer i’ll add is Hillick & Hobbs… I very much liked the inaugural 2019 vintage and am looking forward to trying the 2020.

1 Like

I was going to add Sabelli-Frisch!

1 Like

For Oregon, + 1 on Brooks and Trisaetum. In particular, Brooks has a huge lineup from sweet to dry.

[winner.gif]

Keep in mind, these will not show like German wines. They tend to feel softer and not sure if they can age as well yet (I’ve found 6-8 years is about how long I like to keep them).

1 Like

I think Brooks will still ship free at six. I ordered a half case last year and some were fantastic and even the least were interesting. Problem being my notes are nonexistent and I don’t recall which was which. But fun to explore nonetheless.

Madrona in El Dorado AVA.

+1 on Desire Lines and the 2020 Rootdown Riesling Cole Ranch R1 I tasted recently was deeply impressive. There’s a good reason why a well-regarded importer like Martine’s has added this domestic producer to their portfolio recently.

1 Like

Navarro makes good Riesling. I’ve bought a bunch over the years. My biggest gripe is the lack of acidity that prevents long term aging. I’ve had some cluster select from mid-00s recently that were sadly over the hill already. I served one blind and it was immediately called as not being German because there wasn’t enough acidity.

That’s not universally true, especially for the dry rieslings, some of which I would place on par with the best of the Pfalz. (e.g. Ravines, especially the Argetsinger). For the sweeter rieslings you have more of a point, but there are exceptions there as well - e.g Wiemer, Heart & Hands, Bloomer Creek, and many others.

Goodfellow in Oregon makes the best US Riesling I’ve experienced. (Oregon has great potential for Chardonnay wines, too

1 Like

I am of the opinion that we should not emulate German Riesling here. It’s the wrong stylistic choice. We should find a New World way and focus on the drier styles. That’s brought Australia great success and world class wines. I think this constant flirting with making sweet, German-impersonating Riesling is holding us back. We can ripen fruit here, so we should take advantage of that ability to get to the dryness and flavors no one else can get to.

[stirthepothal.gif]

1 Like

The Germans and Austrians don’t do dry wines? Or is your palate flawed? neener