Top Cellar Holdings by Producer and Some Thoughts on how/why that's Changed

My wine journey started in 1981 when I moved from NZ to Australia. Got stats back to 2005. The evolution from 2005 to 2020 represents a journey from Aussie reds to Red Burgs and Rieslings.

2005: Still on a bunch of Aussie mailing lists, but buying a lot more French wines especially Bdx

1. Wendouree
  2. Yarra Yering
  3. Yeringburg
  4. Penfolds
  5. Rockford
  6. Leoville Barton
  7. Kays Block 6
  8. Ch.Rieussec
  9. Dalwhinnie
  10. Leoville Poyferre

2010: by now have completely stopped buying Aussies but the legacy purchases are still dominating the stats. Burgundies and Donnhoff are now making an appearance in the top 10

1. Wendouree
  2. Yarra Yaring
  3. Yeringburg
  4. Penfolds
  5. Rockford
  6. Leoville Barton
  7. Giacosa
  8. Donnhoff
  9. Mugnier
  10. Roussseau

2015: The buying of Red Burgs and Donnhoff is starting the make an impact on the top ten now

1. Wendouree
  2. Yarra Yering
  3. Yeringburg
  4. Mugnier
  5. Rousseau
  6. Donnhoff
  7. Penfolds
  8. Rockford
  9. Giacosa
  10. Clavelier

2020: sold off around 50% of the Aussie holdings - not drinking them fast enough. Patriotic buying of Felton Rd has led to a NZ wine in the top 10. Donnhoff has reached No.1

1. Donnhoff
  2. Wendouree
  3. Rousseau
  4. Mugnier
  5. Chave
  6. Felton Road
  7. Produttori
  8. Penfolds
  9. Yarra Yering
  10. Raveneau

quite a journey from big warm Aussie reds to red Burgs, Piedmont, Rieslings and Nth Rhone

“You said Chave 7 times.”

“I like Chave.”
9945d634-c9a2-4298-9945-bacd40cb3a49_screenshot.jpg

Was I too obvious? [rofl.gif]

Not by counting - just a gut feeling for what’s in my cellar. My tastes have switched from Ca, to Europe, and back to Ca over the years. Top holdings, in descending order:

1. Carlisle - approx 300 bottles and 20 magnums
  2. Ridge - approx 250 bottles and lots of large formats
  3. Rivers Marie - Between Cab and Pinot - 150 bottles and 15 magnums
  4. Rochioli - 125 bottles - mostly svds
  5. Maybach - 60 bottles and 10 mags
  6. Aubert - 60 bottles, Pinot and Chardonnay
  7. Rafanelli - 60 bottles
  8. Suideraut - 20 bottles
  9. Taylor VP - 15 bottles
  10. Sherwin Family - 15 bottles

I clearly have a California palate. Sold all my Bordeaux, don’t have any burgundy. Have lots of Rhone Valley, lots of port, and loads of other California Pinots and Cabs.

yes - another Chave Hermitage Rouge fan here. It is no.5 on my list and also have 18 different vintages.

Always find these threads interesting.

My order is as follows:

1. PYCM
  2. Hudelot-Noellat
  3. Arnoux-Lachaux
  4. JF Ganevat
  5. Dauvissat
  6. Bernard Moreau
  7. Donnhoff
  8. Mugneret-Gibourg
  9. Fourrier
  10. Wasenhaus

Definitely have seen Germany/Jura creep in to overtake what was an all-burgundy list, though I’m still actively buying from all of these regions/producers. Have only really been collecting for a few years but has been interesting to see the ebb and flow over time.

I would say Matt’s approach is very similar to my own. Really have no idea what are the 10 or so largest producers. I could tell you what I have a lot of, mostly Olde Worlde but with smatterings of New World wines I think are cool and have aging potential. I like the aging potential side because I never no when I’ll get around to drinking something, so like to have wines that will not fall apart after a year or two.

As for tastes changing, they will, but the things I drank when I first started, German riesling and white Graves, I still like. Early explorations into the Northern Rhone and Burgundy, Loire and Italy and Germany continue and have expanded, while wines I used to like from California have changed during the 1990’s and early 2000’s as has Bordeaux into something darker and drearier. New areas have appeared, like New Spain, Greece, Austria, South Africa, New America, with the result that more interesting wines are being made worldwide. Older wines that I could have stretched to buy have now simply become unaffordable to me; no need to name names here since we all know what these are. The thing is, as something gets popular and pricey, there are many, many more wines ready and able to fill the slot it used to occupy. So really, no worries there. We can get sentimental about wines we used to love, talking of ‘friendships’ and ‘relationships’ but how many people that we call friends and lovers would be willing to take advantage of us? You can have wines that speak to you, whisper into your soul, but they are still a commercially made product that gets sold on the international marketplace. This rather takes the fun out of romanticizing of things like Chave and Rougeard at today’s high prices. Don’t let people tell you you need to chase something you don’t have the resources for. Invest in something that will help the environment instead and you will feel prouder having done so than you would have drinking that Grand Cru Burg. Tastes will change but they will also stay the same too, probably why hamburgers are the best selling fast food. If we all abandoned them as we grew up, they wouldn’t be any Burger Kings or McDonalds.
So what about top holdings? Hmm… where IS that flashlight?!

Chave (but 60% is St. Joseph)
Guillemot
Gerard Mugneret
Dujac
La Conseillante
Rayas & Ch. Des Tours (very little actual Rayas)
Trevallon
Dehlinger
Pichon Lalande
Bertheau

These make up 40% of my wine. I’ve been moving toward more focus on a set of about 15 producers. Five years ago I had quite a bit of Bordeaux but no producers in the top 10. I tried to pick my favorite wines that I could afford (e.g. no Haut Brion) and buy more of those, so while I haven’t bought all that much Bdx over the past five years, I’ve bought quite a bit of Conseillante and PLL.

Another big change here was Chave. I always collected it but I had stopped buying after 1997 due to pricing. Then I discovered the St. Jo and bought many vintages. More recently I broke down and started backfilling the “lesser” vintages of Hermitage: 92, 02, 08, 11, 13, 14, which are not cheap but I’ve found I love all vintages.

I was on the Dehlinger list for many years but stopped after the 09s. I’ve really been enjoying the late 90’s and early 00’s wines. Recently I’ve started on some 05’s and 06’s which has a bit of a ramp-up in ripeness from earlier vintages, but they are drinking nicely as well. I’m not buying any more CA Pinot because I find I like $20-45 Burgundies more than higher-end CA wines.

Top ten (eleven since there was a tie for tenth) is all California and very WineBerserkers heavy.

Bedrock
Carlisle
Anderson’s Conn Valley
Sojourn
Jean Edwards
Myriad
Chappellet
Rivers-Marie
Sandler
Lagier-Meredith
Andrew Geoffrey

Percentage of Bedrock is almost as much as the other 10 combined. Carlisle continues to increase as well as I find Zinfandel/Syrah/Mixed Black continues to be my go to.

Similar tastes…clearly.

Don,

Is there anywhere in Anchorage to pick up bottles of Carlisle?

As for the original prompt… I just started adding myself onto wine lists to begin building out a cellar. I have until next fall to figure out long term storage before I pick up my 2018 Bordeaux futures in Seattle. As for the initial concentration:

1. Frontaura (Toro producer)
  2. Vietti
  3. Bruno Giacosa
  4. Numanthia
  5. Lafite Rothschild (ordered a case of 2018)

I haven’t figure out other producers yet, but for I expect it to be heavy in Spanish and Italian wines. A decent amount of sparkling, and a mix of Bordeaux, California, and Washington producers.

Don’t actually know, and haven’t really decided whether I care to know, or should know, or not. Haven’t really decided if this a corollary of the uncertainty principle, or if I’m just a tad lazy. I do like the uncertainty principle thing, though.

My wine buying has changed dramatically in some ways and barely at all in others over the years. I started collecting with a heavy Burgundy focus, but that very heavy focus on Burgundy shifted first to lower priced models and is now relatively a trickle of bargain hunting. I just can’t justify buying village wines for $50-80, let alone the tariff for the “lower end” wines I really like—Mugneret Vosne, Roumier Chambolle, and Lignier MSD VV in red. And Premox also had a big effect on my white buying. I still have a lot of Burgundy in the cellar spread out among many domaines and backfill if i can. The only domaine I seriously focused on buying over the last 15 years or so is Chevillon. I shifted some of Burg buying to N Rhône, but I always bought that too. I also buy a decent amount of older Bordeaux in small lots but that has never accumulated to a significant number of bottles in any one chateau.

I have always bought a lot of German wine and Huet as well. And that has continued. The most significant change there is I used to buy a lot more Donnhoff. I stopped and shifted to filling another perceived hole, Schaefer. That major shift continued over the last 5 years as I drank Donnhoff without replacing them with new vintages, and I stopped backfilling them at auction. I still have a good amount of Donnhoff. I also returned to regular purchasing of von Schubert after a few years off, and that is now reflected in my top holdings.

My ranking now:

Huet
Schaefer
Donnhoff
Juge
Prum
Von Schubert
Chevillon

Added: These 7 producers account for about 25% of my cellar. Huet is just under 7%, which is the same as ~5 years ago.

Jadot
Lambrays
Barthod
Gonon
Hudelot-Noellat
Allemand
Chave
Jamet
Vieux Telegraphe
Ramonet, de Villaine (tie)

I used to have more Burgundy in the top 10 but like Sarah says I can’t keep up due to price and we drink more modestly more often. Also, at one time, for the northern Rhone it was just Chave in the top 10, then Jamet and Allemand caught up as Chave approached $300.

My current top 10:

Puffeney (stocked up as retirement approached)
JJ Prum (per another thread, one of wine’s best values if you like fruity Riesling)
Mount Eden (my favorite American domaine)
Donnhoff
Produttori (another strong contender for great value, although prices seem to be rising)
Huet (stopped buying when they booted Pinguet – hope to have enough to last me)
Schaefer
Clos Roche Blanche (also stocked up as retirement approached)
Edmunds St. John (my favorite American winemaker)
Gonon
Baudry (tie, so 11)

These constitute about 20% of my cellar. Over the years I have consolidated my buying in certain core domaines, which is reflected here. But the largest holding in my cellar is Burgundy (25%). There, I have much more diversity because (a) there are so many strong domaines and (b) pricing makes me hunt out bargains, rather than just presume to buy a wine year over year.

Looking at what’s moved out:

I’ve sold my Rhys, which used to be in the top three. As the wines escalated in price, I couldn’t justify them relative to Burgundy or domestic wines, like Mount Eden, that I like as much or more. Once I decide not to continue to buy a wine, I often have less interest keeping it in my cellar.

I’ve also sold a good bit of Bedrock, even though they’re still a substantial holding. I just don’t drink Zin blends that often, due to the alcohol levels, palate preference, and the food I eat. As a Californian, I do like having the heritage wines around from time to time, though.

I’ve sold European wines that really increased in price. Goodbye to Rougeard. My few bottles of Truchot. Most of my Juge. If you wouldn’t buy a bottle at the price for which you can sell it, then… It helps that I’ve enjoyed these wines already, and have pleasant memories of them. I’m comfortable leaving them for others at the vastly higher pricing. I’ve still kept almost all my Overnoy/Houillon, however. I genuinely love those wines, and have since before they were famous outside the (then small) world of Jura fans.

I also love Beaujolais, but have been trying to cut back my cellar holdings because given how fun the wines are young, I only need to keep so many aged bottles (and I do like the aged counterpoint). Moved off all my Metras because the wines got expensive and were just too variable. Have been cutting back my holdings of even core wines, like Coudert, which used to be in my top 10. I still have a lot of Beaujolais collectively, though.

Only a few things have moved out because my tastes changed. I suppose Sherry would be number one. I used to have quite a bit of Equipo Navazos and others, but have let them all go. I just wasn’t drinking them.

Basically, I’ve been trying to learn to approach my cellar like this: What do I open each year? What do I expect to open in 2035? The number of bottles annually has gone down, which is a good thing. But that’s led my default purchase number of bottles to move down and to cutting the number of wines. There are only so many days, and healthy drinking (to the extent one can) has become important to me.

Nice on the Puffeney. I have some of the Trousseau Berangeres, Poulsard and Savagnin that I cherish (and struggle to find more of!)

I was fortunate to visit Puffeney in 2010, and learned that there wasn’t going to be a succession. So I had a bit of a head’s up on gathering what I could. I probably have enough for a bottle every quarter for the rest of my life, which works. I haven’t actually been drinking them that regularly the last couple years because each bottle seems so precious.

We tend to buy and drink broadly rather than in depth so there isn’t a huge difference in number of bottles between the top 10 producers and the next 10. The differences over time have been more related to regions/styles than producers.

I’ve been through a few phases.

When I started out in the early '80s, tasting group exposures to Zins, Napa cabs, and aged Bordeaux drove my interests. There was no internet buying and minimal online info sharing. Parker was a big influence and I got on a bunch of mailing lists. I loved to drink big fruity oaky wines while waiting for the Bordeaux and Napa cabs to mature. Back then and into the mid-late '90s my top holdings were likely:
Lynch Bages
Angelus
Gruaud Larose
Talbot
Pichon Lalande
Pichon Baron
Conseillante
Shafer
Ridge
Turley
Martinelli
Peter Michael
Mondavi
Beringer

I then fell out of love with Zins in general and the massively oaky, high alcohol style and discovered that most of my Napa cabs were not turning into Bordeaux as they aged. And the cellar was filling up with mailing list wines faster than we could drink them. Many of them were “hostage wines” required to purchase to stay on the list or to have access to the cherries. I dropped the lists and sent the excess to auction.

At the same time I was developing an interest in Champagne, N. and S. Rhône and German Riesling. Friends’ attempts to turn me on to Burgundy and Italian wines were mostly unsuccessful. So the next phase of my cellar probably had these as top holdings:
Lynch Bages
Pichon Lalande
Pichon Baron
Gruaud Larose
Talbot
Montrose
Conseillante
Haut Bailly
Jamet
Chave
Beaucastel
Pegau
Prum
Ridge
Montelena

More recently I’ve fallen out of love with the increasingly sweet ripe Grenache coming out of CduP so I’ve stopped buying there. And I’ve finally started to “get” Italian Nebbiolo and Burgundy. Probably too late but I’ve been buying Produttori. Currently the top 10 are:
Lynch Bages
Krug
Prum
Pichon Lalande
Haut Bailly
Produttori
Conseillante
Pichon Baron
Dom Perignon
Beaucastel

We still drink more red Bordeaux than anything else so that aspect of my preferences hasn’t changed, even though some other areas/styles have fallen in or out of favor. Bordeaux makes up half of our top 10 producers and just over 50% of the total cellar.

My advice for newbies is not to go overboard on one producer or style until you’ve had a chance to try a range of styles and regions. Join a tasting group (it may be another year before these are back to in-person, but COVID won’t be forever) to expand the reach of what you can try without killing your budget or liver.

Try some aged stuff by backfilling or via tasting group. If you like what you taste, AND the story is that they’re still making it that way, then it may be worth buying in quantity to age.

like some others, my organization is random chaos. In the cellar I’ve separated whites from reds from Germans from champagne, etc. Roumier, DRC, and Bachelet used to lead the pack but I faced actuarial reality and stopped buying reds with the 2005 vintage—except cheaper stuff to drink while letting the great wines age. Now I buy Ramonet and a few other whites, mostly Chablis and lots of champagne. It’s always a nice surprise when searching the cellar for a wine to drink since my cataloguing is so inexact.

Always an interesting exercise. I will admit my list may appear strange and I will be surprised if anyone else has Saxum and Mugneret Gibourg in their top 10 but here goes:

Saxum - I have been on the mailing list since the 2001 release. We drink a ton of these but they still add up
Linne Calodo - I have been on the mailing list since the 2000 release. Same as above
Rhys - Another early mailing list, my holdings have been declining as release prices have increased
PYCM - Love their wines, as prices have increased across their lineup I have purchased more of the St. Aubins
Aubert - My favorite CA Chardonnay producer, I don’t buy the pinots
Donnhoff - I tend to buy four German producers, Donnhoff, Prum, Willi Schaeffer and AJ Adam. I just so happen to have more Donnhoff than the others
Andremily - Another mailing list that I enjoy
Pontet-Canet - Have been buying since the 2003 vintage, buy in most vintages except those that I avoid Bordeaux altogether (2007, 2011, 2013, 2017)
Faiveley - Easily available. Wide selection of village, 1er and Grand Cru
Mugneret-Gibourg - I just love these wines. Only wish I could find them in quantities at the prices I paid as little as 5 or 6 years ago
Dom Perignon - Always a hit, I stocked up a lot on the 2008 vintage
Roumier - The first Burgundy producer I really bought (and that was only 7 or 8 years ago). Buy when I find them at a price I like but as with MG this is getting more difficult
SQN - Have bought from friends’ allocations in the past and was recently added to the mailing list
Prum - As many others have said what a great value

Overall I am happy with this list. Sure I would likely trade some of the new world Rhones for more MG and Roumier but good luck finding that counterparty. The biggest change is that at one time Turley and Carlisle would have been in my top 5 but as I have moved away from zinfandel they have decreased. The next names on the list are more Burgundy domaines, the other two Germans, Krug, a Northern Rhone producer and another Bordeaux. My first California Cabernet (Shafer - all Hillside Select) comes in at #25. I do wish I had a bit more properly aged California cabernet.