Top 10 Pinot Noir Producers in Oregon

This list might be more idiosyncratic.

Eyrie and Ponzi are two that I stumbled across at the same tasting at Solano Cellars back around 1989-ish. They both were so good that it made my eyes pop out!I was gobsmacked.

I admit to liking Beaux Frere.

Patricia Green and Goodfellow make my list.

I can’t recall seeing Big Table Farm mentioned here, but they are pretty darn good.

I don’t know if this is a cliche, but Domaine Serene is pretty good.

I am sure I am forgetting some!

In no particular order:

Antica Terra
Thomas
Soter
Violin
Native Flora
EIEIO
Audeant
Ayoub
Cameron
Kelley Fox

2 Likes

I’m not sure of the details specifically, but i know Jim has been getting the wind ridge for a couple years before he made the single vineyard in 21. I believe I read a comment saying as much, that he was surprised with how the vineyard fruit turned out and blended it away until he got a better sense of how to handle it.

1 Like

I was going to mention Mo’s wines. Great addition to this thread.

Started with both Risgecrest and Wind Ridge in 2018. Bottled 3 barrels of Ridgecrest in 2018. Didn’t receive Ridgecrest in 2019. 2020 was 2020. Bottled both Rodgecrst and Wind Ridge in 2021 and 2022.

I had certain preconceptions about Wind Ridge that tuned out to be incorrect and it took a couple vintages to both get past those and to figure out what was the correct course of action. Dialed in now.

1 Like

No particular order. I like them all for different reasons:

Cristom
Thomas
Goodfellow
Vincent
Kelley fox
PGS
Bethel heights
Domaine drouhin (i actually don’t have any in the locker but have always enjoyed them and have a lot of sentimental attachment)
Brickhouse
Soter (but truth be told I drink their sparkling mostly)

1 Like

I have more Oregon Pinot in my cellar than anything else. I love the stuff. My favorite producers, in no particular order would be:

Goodfellow
Kelley Fox
Cameron
Eyrie
Patty Green
Walter Scott

I’m no expert here, but what I’ve found time and again in most of the bottles from these producers I so enjoy are levels of complexity (certainly age dependent), bright red berry fruit and floral aromatics, but with a mineral backbone, refreshing acidity, and versatility (most are quite good young in my experience, but have lots of gas in the tank - although some of Goodfellows and Walter Scotts I’ve had young are more unruly in their youth). On the age point, I’ve had some absolutely fantastic experiences with Patty Green’s in the 10-15 year old range (05, 07 and 09 come to mind, consumed in the early 2020s). I would venture to say that stylistically this group of my favorites is more of what I associate with Burgundian or Old World, than New.

Beyond those, I’ve tended to enjoy the bottles I’ve had of producers including Cristom and Beaux Freres. From memory, I find their styles to generally be a bit bigger, perhaps more extracted, and I can also find more black fruit notes.

Despite all the Oregon pinot I drink I don’t really yet have a great sense for delineating the unique profiles of the AVAs or vineyards, but I’m working on it. Further research needed!

6 Likes

So, 2021 was the second year of Ridgecrest and it is better than Etzel IMO. Weren’t you also thrilled with the inaugural 2021 Shafer?

Ha! Goodfellow is the only one whose style I have a good handle on. And, of course, since our palates align most of the time, I quite like them!

This is an example of why I think it’s important to say something about the style. The Beaux Freres, in my experience, are generally concentrated, low acid, pretty ripe wines. I’ve been served a number of Dom. Serenes over the years and I always feel like there is probably some nice fruit there but the oak overlay completely dominates. (I’ve had some with age with the same experience.)

Marcus Goodfellow’s wines, by contrast, are much more restrained, with good acid and the oak complements the wines. I can imagine that some people might not find them satisfying – not fruity enough or with too firm a structure – but they’re right up my alley.

Obviously, preferences can vary, but since the OP was trying to educate himself (as am I by reading this thread), it would really be helpful if people describe the house styles.

3 Likes

Vincent, which I also like very much, is more concentrated than say Goodfellow, but not in any way dense. Also very low on the oak scale. I find the wines to provide more immediate pleasure while still being reflective of their origins. V & G are the two producers who cemented my love of Pinot Noir from the Ribbon Ridge AVA.

3 Likes

De La Boue is my top

2 Likes

Who?

Seriously - never even seen that name anywhere before.

Ridgecrest is a special vineyard for sure and we get the original 1982 planting. Hard to top that. The 2021 Shafer was a revelatory wine. From 1972 vines. We did not get it in 2022. Got it in 2023 but farming had switched and not for the better. Giving it another year in 2024 with a switch back to competent and experienced farming.

1 Like

The problem with defining style is that it too is highly subjective. If someone likes Beaux Freres or Dom. Serene, it is unlikely that they would describe them as concentrated, low acid, pretty ripe, oak dominated. Many of us would find these terms negative. I’m sure you’ve encountered the same dilemma with preferences in Nebbiolo where someone loves a wine that you find to be :poop:.

Then let them describe Beaux Freres and Serene (which are quite different in my experience) in their own terms and let them call Goodfellow shrill and diluted, or whatever. I’ll be able to read between the lines.

What use is this exchange if it’s just a list of names with no comment on the wines other than that people like them?

1 Like

The 21 Shafer was an exception, I bought soley based on producer and vine age even with it being new…

You are right. I will add comments on my original list.

Apologies for likely being too imprecise in my additional impressions.

Curious how long you have been purchasing their wine? Ran across them about a year ago in some article (?), went to their website and joined the 6 bottle club to give it a try. First release was wonderful with Temperance Hill being the standout! Was just sent 2nd release, with one Chardonnay, and looking forward to other Pinots.

Much appreciated, Anton. And I have enough of a sense of your preferences among various wine categories that this is helpful.