Today is Madeira Wine Day

Today is Madeira Wine Day. Celebrates the making of the island an autonomous region of Portugal.
The other great thing is that the wines will keep until July 4th. Madeira is the original American wine. Used to toast the Declaration of Independence by the founding fathers.
Opened these last night to drink today.
maderiawineday 001.JPG

Hurrah!!!

I wish I had known ahead of time! Happy celebrations! I have a Barbeito Madeira Bual 1912 on tap for next week.

INFANTICIDE !! [snort.gif]

I have a NY Malvasia Madeira for the winter. Where did you find the Porto Muniz?

I wish I had known ahead of time! Happy celebrations! I have a Barbeito Madeira Bual 1912 on tap for next week.

That is another beautiful bottle.

I have a NY Malvasia Madeira for the winter. Where did you find the Porto Muniz?

From The Rare Wine Company. Don’t know if they still have any. It was a small release.

Great thought Eric. I’ll have to open a bottle this weekend too.

Rare Wine Co made my New York Malmsey and my New Orleans Verdelho. Yum stuff

Eric, have you ever been to Porto Muniz?

There is a natural pool there right at the side of the ocean that is a great “swimming hole”.

My mother’s birth year Madeira. The one on the left, we opened at her 85th. The one on the right, at her 90th. I left a bit in the bottom of each bottle. I had a tiny taste of the one on the left today. Opened 8 years ago. Unmistakably Madeira. Sugar is slipping away and acidity is higher than I remember, with a bot of bitterness, but still a very nice drink.

When were the respective wines bottled?

The one on the left was bottled in 2005 and the one on the right was in 2011. Of course, that raises the question of bona fides, but there’s really no way to tell, so I guess ya gotta believe. I have two bottles of 1875 that say they were bottled in, I think, 1988. Who knows?

Madeira is awesome! No other wine can be opened and tasted over years!!!

Bob, I have been to the pools. There are a couple places on the Island like that.