To Share or Not to Share...That is the Question...

didn’t intend to offend. This is what I was commenting on. If I see a deal or there’s something left after I buy a few, I love sharing the news. It’s almost as much fun as buying for myself.

No offense taken, Alan…just wasn’t sure as I mostly took leave of online wine boards for 10 years, but had posted a lot in the past. Probably too much for some readers!

And I normally have shared, too. I guess I’m just wary seeing so many posts from people who buy multiple cases of a hard-to-find wine (I’m not talking wines with 25K+ case production). I like spreading the wealth around, and don’t like the idea of a few people buying up everything.

I think the general idea is good, but then you have to define how much is enough and how much is too much? If you find a case of something at a retailer and buy it, should you have left more for someone else? 6 bottles? 3 bottles? The line just starts to get blurry.

I think as long as someone is going to drink every bottle they buy, buy what you want. The more you have, the more you can share with friends and family. If you’re just collecting to put it in your cellar and don’t really ever drink it or share it, then buying up cases of small batch wines is excessive.

As far as sharing good sources off the beaten path, unfortunately sharing them publicly is usually a death sentence for anything good. There’s too many people on the internet. If you share them directly in a smaller circle, you can keep them useful for everyone for a much longer time.

this.

I only get frustrated when people are buying with the sole intent of buying all of it so they can sell for more. my first alcohol love was actually bourbon and I got into wine because this exact thing frustrated me so much in bourbon drinking. everything people wanted to drink was sold from the liquor store before it ever even hit a shelf, so the only way to get anything became secondary gray markets. it took all the fun out of it cuz I could never find what I was looking for without paying a bunch for someone else to hoard it first.

I should mention, in general, without exception, everyone I have met in the wine world is incredibly generous. it seems much more to be a hobby where individuals enjoy it more when everyone is enjoying it more. That seems to be MORE the case the further down the rabbit hole someone is. I’m sure there are exceptions to that out there, but I haven’t met them yet.

there are a few guys I am online mentoring in Burgundy and I email them deals I find and why—instead of posting to the world. Maybe that would work for you. They don’t buy big volume.

I agree that wines should not be bought for purposes of making a profit at the expense of others. However, having said that, I do not see anything wrong with stocking up on a wine you love, especially if it is hard to get. Typically, most wines are not hard to get until a critic has bestowed a high rating. Also, I won’t flatter myself by thinking my palate is what everyone desires! Finally, I love sharing wine with others, so the vast majority of wine will end up being tasted by numerous people anyway (isn’t that what wine groups are for?). As an example, if I came across some bottles of 2012 Evening Land La Source, I am buying every bottle they have, because I really like that wine. Call me selfish if you like! I really doubt that many of the wines referred to in this post would be readily available anyway (in large quantities), and as some have said, there is always the “next” great wine! Just my opinion!