To all ITBers: How are your Bordeaux 2010 sales going?

I am seeing some retailers purchase 2010’s from lesser or unknown chateaus or from right outside of the classified Bordeaux region such as Fronsac and Castillon.

Most of what she said sounds like happy talk to encourage interest. But then there’s the more believable comment from the PC guys that increasing demand has pushed prices up. But is that demand from importers and retailers anticipating a spike in consumer interest or have consumers actually been buying 2010s? My guess is that the expensive classed growths we’re interested in are not selling through to the consumer, but I’m not ITB.

I think this part’s true. Parker’s final report comes out at the end of this month. Another few weeks after that and all the folks who’ve been waiting on that report will have made their buy/no buy decisions. Retailers will have a much better idea of consumer interest. And it’ll be spring.

PS - got you beat Panos on PC Bdx futures. Still waiting on a half case of '05s. neener pileon

Panos,

In the UK, at least, the 2010s were predominantly sold nearly 2yrs ago. Since then, as is usually the case, things have gone a bit quiet on the vintage but, with the bottles now starting to arrive and the vintage being re-visited by a number of major critics, we’re starting to see some renewed interest.

I only mention this as the question - How are your Bdx 2010 sales going? - seemed strange on first glance. They went well, not quite at 2009 level but pretty strong, have been flat, which isn’t unusual post-primeur and pre-arrival, and now are now showing some further signs of life.

All this aside, it is a sensational vintage. I’m confident it’s better than 2009 and, as people start to taste them, I think they’re going to love the wines.

With the Chinese market buying Bordeaux more broadly and in greater quantities, I don’t doubt that they are playing a part in the ridiculous ongoing price increases of classed as we have been told. I wonder, though: are they really buying enough to justify the increases, or are there surpluses developing because of decreased sales in the US and UK? If it’s the latter, how long can producers and merchants sit on unsold inventory and what will eventually happen to the market?

I become more and more disenfranchised with Bordeaux with ever passing vintage. I look at wines I bought in 2005 and earlier that have remained at the same quality level, but the prices today are a magnitude greater. Why? There are so many regions making great wine today. Some of my wine friends that love Bordeaux tell me I should buy it now because prices are only going up. But my question is, why buy Bordeaux at all with so many other options? If I have a fixed budget, I can get higher quality for a lower price elsewhere.

I wasn’t on the scene when good Bordeaux was reasonably priced for the quality, so I never picked up the Bordeaux bug. I’ve been to a lot of tastings and just don’t understand how those bottles are worth $100 - $300. They are nice to drink, but it seems like burning money IMHO.

All about personal preference.

Very good point David. Also I should add that Christine Havens is a very nice person and the company she represents, as I had mentioned earlier, got me a good deal on Yquem halves. If I recall correctly, they also have some good deals on GPL 2005. At least they had…

As for your PS, all I can say is that seems crazy. I hope we both get our wines!

Thanks Matthew. Sales for 2010 have been ongoing - at least for end consumers - and I posed the question in the wake of from bottle tastings freshly done in the US last month. I realize that the UK gets an earlier tasting from bottle (in November, is it?).

In any case, it is interesting that you find 2010 overall quite better than 2009. I would say different, but not necessarily better. It depends on appellation, no? It would be interesting to try say Montrose and Calon Segur head to head - 2009 vs 2010 - in about ten years to see where both would be. From what I have tried, I think 2009 will prove more impressive for many northern Medocs. That said, I loved Pichon Comtesse 2010 more than 2009 when tasted at the chateau in a mini vertical. I think it will come down to stylistic preferences for the consumer, as both are of high quality.

Certainly freshness and structure are more evident in 2010 - which reminds me more of the magnificent 2005. And as Mark Golodetz noted, you can find 2005s for less money, which makes me wonder why some punters would not just opt for 2005 if less in price than 2010, especially if we see continued flat prices (or even perhaps discounts?) on 2010s that have not moved so well, further down the line.

Of course, much of the coming demand will depend on Robert Parker’s top in-bottle scores. Add to that the fact that two lesser vintages are following (2011 and 2012) and one could see some more people picking up 2010s. But I have a hunch that Monsieur le Pope Américain will not give as many asterisks and 100 pointers to 2010 as he did to 2009.

For point chasers, that may be very important.

That might explain how PC was able to sell at reduced prices for a while, but doesn’t explain why no other retailers have dropped their prices, or why PC’s prices are now back to original levels. All a bit confusing (and I confess to having bought a few bottles from PC, and being a mostly satisfied customer for many years).

You live in France and yet buy from PC? Is it really that much cheaper than sourcing locally, adding in transport costs? Strange.

Nothing strange about it; I am from Arlington, Virginia and have wine stored there, at the family house. A good way to avoid temptation from opening too soon. Then again, not getting the bottles too soon helps with not opening any either. If I get them, that is. [wow.gif] As for pricing, sometimes Bordeaux is cheaper outside of France. That is not the case with Burgundy or the Rhone. For Champagne, a tossup. I have found better deals for Dom Perignon and other top cuvees in the US than I have in France or other parts of Europe. In any case, when I get back home, I often order wine, too.

Pure speculation but I think the potential for cutting deals may only be available in all practicality to those retailers in the US who can direct import and take huge quantities - no facts but as a guess I would think that PC has the capability to buy and move very large multi-pallet deals from the negotiants which are large enough to convince them to make the deal in the first place. Probably not too many retailers can cut and are willing to cut a 100 or 300 case deal with a negotiant. Also, if the wines were offered at discount pricing at too many outlets then it would destroy the market. See how this board for the most part dismisses the PC offerings and the pricing implications for the broader market so they are a safer outlet for producers than the general market (perhaps not too different than how CA producers dump overage wines directly into hotel groups and cruise lines rather than generally through the national market). It is crazy but quite often I see offers from other retailers on the same 09s and 10s at 30-50% higher on the same wines on the same day as through PC, both high end and low end.

You are one smart cookie Gordon.

With two crappy consecutive vintages, wouldn’t 2010’s relative success be all but assured at this point? Might just be held off a bit because of 2009’s pumping, but it seems to be lining up to be strong for both.

I’m just baffled at the people who classify Burgundy as a “minefield” of overpriced wines given the recent Bdx pricing.

The Bordeaux system is inherently flawed, as any negiciant can buy and sell in any region to any retailer, as opposed to the much more efficient system that Burgundy and most other European regions employ - that of specific regional reps

There needs to be a shake up in Bordeaux but the negociants will fight it every step of the way. One huge and powerful Chateu needs to lead the way

I’d love to see that. Is there any Chateau that seems to be up to the task?

That’s an even bolder move - by a large factor - than Latour recently made.

If in seven months it looks like 2013 will suck also, then we’re well and truly screwed. :frowning:

Stock up on 2009-2010!