TNs: Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (1999-2004)

RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR - Jeffrey’s Office - Corona Del Mar, CA (11/13/2009)

This was a small focused tasting to see how California Pinot Noir, in particular from the Russian River Valley, would present itself with a little bit of bottle age. Based upon this tasting, it seems 5-8 years is the sweet spot for these wines.

All the wines were tasted blind. The Holdredge was voted the winner of the tasting, and it was also my #1 wine. The August West and Siduri came in a close second, with the former being my #2 wine.

• 1999 Sapphire Hill Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Corked. NR (flawed)
  • 1999 Saxon-Brown Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    This wine seemed a little past peak to me with madeirized notes of autum leaves, fruit cake, and white cherries. Tart on the palate. (85 pts.)
  • 2001 DuMOL Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Muscular notes of black cherries, crushed strawberries, red clay, earth, and cola nut. Full-bodied and meaty on the palate with a touch of heat on the finish. 87-88 points. (87 pts.)
  • 2001 Verve Pinot Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Mature notes reduced cherries, cherry liqueur, mushrooms, and forest floor. Nice texture on the palate with a soft feathery finish. I cannot see this wine getting any better, so drink up. (90 pts.)
  • 2003 Siduri Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Rich aromas of black cherries, cinnamon, and clove. Opulent on the palate with sweet notes of plum, blueberries, and cherry liqueur. Still has a long life ahead of it. 89-90 points. (89 pts.)
  • 2004 August West Pinot Noir Graham Family Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    The aromas leap out of the glass with notes of ripe cherries, black raspberries, crushed strawberries, and candied orange peel. Robust and persistent on the palate with layers of fruit and finishing a hint of cola. My #2 wine of the tasting. (91 pts.)
  • 2004 Holdredge Pinot Noir Wren Hop - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Initially tight and funky, but with time and air this wine really opened up like a flower in bloom. Slightly sherried notes of dried flowers, dried orange peel, and cranberries followed an elegant, balanced palate and mineral-laced finished. Quite a contrast from the August West, which I enjoyed very much, but in the end its subtle and feminine expression edged out the aforementioned as my #1 wine of the tasting. 91-92 points. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Excellent notes, Paul. Nice to see how the Siduri Keefer held up. I killed my last bottle about 18 months ago. Love to see the 2004 Holdredge. Those are pretty rare to come by. Looks like this has developed beautifully in the past year. Fun tasting and a nice overview. Thanks much.

And nice to see someone giving scores well below 90 for a change!

Thanks for the notes and assessments. I generally like that 5-8 window but with many of those I would think the 5 window would be on the outside. Great to hear about the Holdredge. I get to drink them on occasion with the Houston crew.

Jason

Jason, to be sure, the August West was on the outside, but the Holdredge was definitely in the hizzy.