TNs: Rhys tasting....Alpine and Horseshoe 2016, 2015, 2012, 2010 and 2008

Larry, not gonna happen, as the wine is sold out. I got a 750 in the cellar so if you want to try it on Falltac day, and if you’re staying for the afterparty, dude, I’ll open it.

I’m fully aware that there could be a personal bias since I brought that bottle, but I have to say it was my favorite PN of the day. I felt the price was well worth it. I’m still so new to Rhys that I really don’t have my bearings with the wines yet, but I thought this Champagne PN was fantastic. I would be happy to have it again.

An excellent write-up Brian. It did seem like Alpine was shining brighter than the Horseshoe to me, too. And of course, the Swan Terrace was my favorite of the '08’s. I didn’t know it cost more at the time, but I could taste it.

It also scares the heck out of me how many flawed bottles of Rhys I see reported in CT and it’s seems to be across the board, not on any particular wine.

Cheers everyone. Hope we can do it again… a great afternoon, Frank. Thank you!

Bob

I might try to come down for that, if a seat is available.

I’d throw elbows for a seat, too. champagne.gif

Bob,

If that still Champagne was your favorite Pinot of the tasting then you should start exploring cool vintage Burgundy; it would be right up your alley ---- I’ll try to remember this next time we’re hanging out. I have an affinity for '08 Burgs, and, given your statement here, I think they would be 100% in your wheelhouse.

Frank,

Glad to hear that '15 Horseshoe opened-up on Day 2. I think I might need to pull back on the reigns with Rhys a bit — not only because Rhys comprises an objectively moronic high percentage of my cellar, but also because I, apparently, don’t really know which vineyard(s) I prefer. I’m buying these wines to age; I think, just maybe, I should actually let them age! … I’ve already drawn-back a bit due to the recent price increases, and I might now pull back a bit more so I can get a better handle on which vineyards I should be throwing my money at.

I hesitate to post this but I opened a Rhys 2010 Alpine pinot back at Thanksgiving and found it overly sweet. I have had several other Rhys that I enjoyed but this one was not to my liking. The fruit was there but it was tough to finish the bottle. Did you guys find this one sweet in your tasting comparable to the others you opened?

Mike, in a wide ranging tasting we did last year, 2010 Alpine was an outlier for me as well:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2846947#p2846947

Alan, thanks for the note.

Mike, in looking back at my TNs above, I recall the richness of the Alpine, akin to the ‘fumes’ remark I made. I preferred the 'Shoe, and while there was a jammy note, it seemed better to me. Perhaps the Alpine will last longer but I thought the 'Shoe was great.

Worth also pointing out again that the 2010s did not remain leftover for me to retaste the next day so I’m lacking that data point. And, we’re missing Bryan Cottriel’s comments, but I seem to recall his comments at the table being very positive for the 2010s, even to the point he reloaded more of the 2010s not too long ago. Maybe I misheard what he said yet I am pretty sure he said 2010. Bryan has a strong palate, and I wish he would post more, as he does have a firm opinion on things and he’s got good senses about wines, too.

I think that’s fair. I wrote a word in my original TN that I generally avoid publishing in my notes — slutty — so I omitted it from my published version. I think that fits-in with “sweet.” It’s hard to say the other vintages weren’t sweet like the 10’s, and it’s hard to say they were — the '10s were, by far, the most open wines of the tasting; perhaps the others present similarly with additional bottle age.(?) – I don’t know.

I wouldn’t really say any of the wines were “sweet” other than the sparkling. And that would be sweet in flavor and not in sugar.

The 2010 Alpine to me was sullen and maybe quite closed. It was one of the bottles I ended up taking the leftovers home of. I don’t remember it opening over the course of a couple days though. These wines in general are on interesting trajectories.