TNs: Recent Whites- Fevre, Smith Haut Lafitte, & More

Domaine William Fevre Chablis Vaillons 2004:
Almost pale yellow/green in color, with a nose of smashed pineapple, spry minerals and smoke. Fresh and vibrant, packed with pears, stones and some zesty, juicy citrus. Elegant and precocious and exactly right for Vaillons (for me). 91 points

Smith-Haut-Lafitte Blanc 2004:
Pale straw colored and less aromatic than the Fevre. Scents of toasted nuts dominate. The wine is loaded with flavors of dried citrus, almond paste, wax and passion fruit. Only after an hour plus does the wine really gain some vigor and complexity and really come alive. When it does it is really charming. Not as interesting as the '05 but certainly very good. 92 points

Lucien le Moine Chassagne Montrachet Morgeot 2003:
Not super aromatic but pleasant enough- a light touch of lemon peel and a bit of oak. This is the first time I have had this wine in a few years and it has become a bit more intense and even a bit more agreeable, perhaps even somewhat suave. Overall a clever mix of poached pears, lime zest, toasty oak, spiced vanilla and the essence of bacon. Not a bad wine. 88 points

Niepoort Redoma Reserva Branco 2005:
Such an interesting wine. Still needs a lot time I think. Nose is full of citrus, minerals and spice. Loads of character exude from this, ripe green apple, lemon rind, anise and oak. Excellent acidity, good mineral content and excellent length. Something to seek out. 93 points

Crocker And Starr Sauvignon Blanc 2007:
Good color, decent nose but probably served too cold. Kaffir lime, tangerine and grapefruit- some lemongrass and flower notes, not as complex as I might like but a nice enough drink for summer. Nowhere near as good as the '05 or as good as some of its peers. 87 points

Thanks for the notes John. Too bad about the Lucien le Moine, sounds like typical 2003. The whites form 2004-2006 are flat out killer.

John - thanks for the notes…I love Fevre. Just had a couple glasses of the 02 Bougros Chablis…awesome stuff.