TNs over time - 2016 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - amazing stuff, crazy QPR

I don’t think I’ve opened more than 1 Alturas since our Halcon Halcon vertical 18 months ago. Time to pop something, thanks for the motivation Todd!

WineSave (from BerserkerDay two years back) - one squirt of that, corked and left on counter. I wanted SOME preservation but not more cautionary methods (like adding it to the fridge, or putting it in a half bottle) because I wanted to get the exposure to air (just not full) to see how it held up, and it obviously did. Could have left it 2-3 more nights, probably

Todd

Your day two experience is consistent with my CT note from late June - “this is a more open vintage that drinks well now. I find best as a pop’n’pour or give it a couple days of air. A mix of the exotic character of 2013 Alturas and the structure of the 2014.”

Paul

Whew! I didn’t get the answer wrong!

Next time I’ll try a bit longer, see what happens. Tough to keep my hands off it, though.

If you have any of the Elevacion, would love to see how you think it compares.

The Elevacion is definitely stemmier and deeper than the Alturas. I’ve had a few bottles over the last year, and its depth of spice and darker fruit profile really sets it a cut above the Alturas IMHO. Really reflective of the site. Truly a tremendous wine on par with Northern Rhone wines of serious pedigree.

I did not have Alturas and Elevacion side by side, but my tasting group had '16 Elevacion in early February. All agreed it was a cold climate Syrah with Northern Rhone notes, my own tasting notes that night, just found them in after tasting email thread:

Wines tasted not blind (first non blind for my group in a very, very long time). Main theme was Petite Sirah, with Halcon as one of the bottles, and we also opened a few other wines ('16 Ladd Cellars Zin was in the old Rafanelli mold for me, excellent!) before we got to main theme for the night. At a golf club restaurant in Danville.

2016 Halcon Elevacion - 100% Chave clone, from a cooler and slower maturing block, 100% whole cluster ferment, neutral oak. Displaying colder climate Syrah notes, nicely balanced, with whole cluster ferment nicely integrated and not really “sticking out” in any way. Great balance of dark fruits, some notes of sage, herbs de provence, savory side for sure. If I had tried it blind I’d guess Northern Rhone. Very enjoyable now and this showing says it should age well for 5-7 years to fully open up, and then some.

As noted, the wine is still very young, and consumed only in the name of science. Will improve and fill out even better with cellaring.